About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Birthday Lazarus!

Sweet boy turned 10 years old today!!!!
(In lucky years, I'm so lucky to still have him...2 yrs old)
 His foal registration....awwww
 We picked up his bday gift, a BIG bag of Omega Fields Flax to add to his diet...he loved it!
Here was why, along with a lot of read research that flax can help those predetermined to laminitis:
 •RESTORE cracked brittle hooves and develops strong solid hoof growth

•PROMOTE shiny, healthy coat, and smoother skin texture
•ALLEVIATE stiff, immobile joints
•SOOTHE aching muscles and shortens recovery time
•STRENGTHEN immune system
•ELIMINATE sweet itch and bug bite sores
•ALL NATURAL without artificial preservatives
•ALTERNATIVE for pysllium which prevents sand colic
•RECOMMENDED for Insulin Resistance and Cushings

Birthday boy running after a good birthday roll!

 It was spotty and rainy on his bday, but as luck would have it, it stopped for about 30 minutes so I quickly stopped his bday grooming and took him out for a RUN!!!
 Terrible picture but the bday boy slopping up his slurpee with now added flax

***
Moving backwards, to review this past Saturday
 It was W-I-N-D-Y so I wasn't sure what could be accomplished but I went out with high hopes
 It was B-U-S-Y at the barn, lots of building, dogs, people, etc so great tests for Laz and I 
Laz did amazing...we worked on just keeping him comfortable but listening
There were some big spooks, to be expected but when I patted him and talked to him he came back to earth quickly. He did a lot of tongue rolling and lolling which I've actually not seen him do, but then would blink and lick, so I assuming it was just anxiety and then himself working it out and calming back down.
I was happy with him and we w/t for 45 minutes despite the world going on around us, quite well
The BO had a riding lesson going on in the round pen, and there was building going on in Laz's pasture so mini had to come roam around the arena with us.
Laz and I channeled our Western side and did some cow penning....er mini penning, it was hilarious
Laz got so into it that he gently bit mini's rump and the little Wicked took off running, bucking and squealing, lol!
After our ride, we took a hand walk with another boarder and her Arab (you can't see them because they are on Laz's other shoulder side)
It was way too windy for us to feel safe riding, but we still wanted to go 'trail walking' so we went about 1-1/2 miles
Hooray, I also tried on Laz's easy boots and they fit him again...his hoof is regaining a normal shape and made me feel better for our road walk
 
We are just walking by this PARKED semi truck...it was NOT moving, no worries.  Laz walked by while shoulder bumping me the whole time like "Ummm...Mom, shouldn't YOU be closer to this giant, than me??"
I had to remind him of my space about 10 times
We stopped at this baby bubbling brook to see what the horses thought of it.  Being a water boy, I thought Laz would enjoy to step in it.
What I don't have a picture of is Laz choosing to not walk in the water, but perform a DEER LEAP over this brook about 7 feet wide and then almost trampling me (really he tried not too) but behind me in the picture is a wall of shrubbery so there was limited space for him to go. He caught me so off guard that he opted to jump instead of walking, so I quickly scrambled to the other side to coax him to walk over and he again LEAPT over, stopped by me, sighed and looked at me like "whaaaa...that...oh that's nothin."

Jeez...and ooops, he was totally fine, even though I freaked that he hurt himself (jumped!!?) but now I know to maybe not ask too much for this little frog horse likes to jump??!

When we got back, I let him graze the sides with his tiniest bff and enjoy the sunshine

17 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to a very sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Laz! You lucky boy you have a great Horsey Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Laz. That mini is so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy, happy, happy b-day to Lazarus!!! So happy that he's still here and thriving.

    And, yeah, flax rocks! I plan on putting Salem back on it soon, it is AMAZING stuff! It's naturally high in Omega 3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory. And you do not have to grind it, you can just feed the whole seeds, which is what I do because it's just way easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Laz!!! It's almost Gogo's 10th birthday too!

    And the Omega Horseshine is CRAZY good stuff! We had a client with a horse who has lyme last year and her coat was all dull and crappy, and we put her on this stuff and when she shed out her coat... you needed sunglasses to look at her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday gorgeous! Too funny about jumping that brook... Oh Laz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday sweet boy!!! I love your pictures from your trail walk! You guys manage to have so many fun adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Laz! Help joints? muscles? Maybe I need to find flax. Is it just plain flax?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That supplement is amazing from what I hear, and I want to try it so bad!

    Happy Birthday Laz! 10 is my favorite age so far;)

    I loooove "mini-penning" lolz. What a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Laz, the world is so lucky that you are still in it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a sweet, happy post. You and Laz have come full circle from when I first started reading this blog. I'm glad you had such a great day with him and I love that photo of him and his bestie! So cute. BTW, thanks for the info on the flax. That sounds like something I need to look into for Tiny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love flaxseed (also called linseed). I used to feed it all of the time, but now I can't seem to find anywhere that can order it in. It's way cheaper to buy it by the fifty pound bag of whole seeds from a feed store or coop. You don't have to grind it up to feed it. I can't wait to see what it does for Laz. I have nothing but good opinions of flax.

    Happy Birthday Laz! Sorry I probably should have said that first but I got so excited about the flax lol. I love the mini penning. That is just too adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my! your babies (horse & dog) are so beautiful. I am sooo jeallous! We have 2 dogs and I would love to have a horse one day,, yet I should probably learn how to ride one first :)
    I'm just a big animal lover and horses are just so goergous!

    Have a great rest of the week!!
    xoxo
    Edyta
    http://edytaandco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! Great blog! Happy birthday to Lazarus. :)

    Is Lazarus the horse you want painted on a leather cuff? If you could, send me an email to linny@linnykenney.com and then I'll get your measurements and some pictures of your horse to work with.

    Thanks!
    Linny

    ReplyDelete