About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, April 15, 2011

SpringPlay

When Mason and I leave for the barn, I always gather up balls for Pudge to play with while we are gone.  
This little dog LOVES his balls!
 He chews them and intentionally makes them *pop* out from his mouth so he can chase them
 At the barn, it was beautiful this past week and I was able to go both Sun/Tues/Wed
 After our work on Tuesday, I worked him on the long lunge and he did quite well.  He picked up the correct lead (after about 5 attempts of incorrect) and celebrated it with a SURGE run and a few bucks.  I was happy to be on the ground for that celebration :)
I cooled him down by walking around the property and enjoying the sun
 Love this!
 I braided mini's THICK mane because he's rubbing his neck raw under his mane.
We treated it with some 'stop the itch' salve and allowed it to breathe
 Cute right!?
The braid lasted about 30 minutes because I gave him a lunge lesson and he was horribly WICKED and stubborn and confused.  I had to search for a good moment to end it on, which came after my hands were raw, shoulder felt yanked out, and pony was tired.  He did better the next day.  Whew...that pony is cute but strong!

Wednesday, Laz and I had an awesome, awesome, awesome ride.  
He was looky loo but didn't spook and gave me a great ride. I worked on bringing hip over, shoulders in, etc.  He did great and we continued our trot work from arena, to outside around the property.  The BO's husband was driving tractor around and Laz was awesome and not paying any attention to that, and only to me.  
Good boy!  
The warm, still weather may have had something to do with it, but I'll take it!
Tues/Wed-Laz was moving beautifully and his trot is looking great!

Snuggling with Pudgie...this little guy, when we rescued him had lived his entire life (2-3 yrs??) in a cage only.   We rescued him from a puppy mill about 4.5 yrs ago and he knows a life quite differently now.
What a little stinky angel
Pudgie convinces you that enjoying time on the couch is a good thing in life :)

11 comments:

  1. Awwwwww, I didn't know Pudgie was a puppy mill baby! Poor sweet cutie...he is ridiculously adorable. Sounds like a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post! Just overflowing with adorableness from all the critters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah! My little gremlin(frenchie) assumes the same couch pose. She's quick to "hold down" anyone on the couch to prevent them from leavng. The couch is definitely her natural habitat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Pudge went from hell to living the life of Riley! He sure picked a good home. :-)

    As for the mini...ok, this is gonna sound gross, but it might be neck threadworms (I forget the technical term...something starting with an "O," and they also affect the chest, belly, etc.). Treatment is a double dose of Equimax and then another double dose two weeks later. Just something to think about if the itchies continue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you're going to lay on the couch - you better free up that lap - hel-lo!

    Sounds like you had a fantastic week! That mini is so darn cute - does it get away with murder?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable Pudgie! How lucky he is to have found a home with you. So cute that you collect his balls so he can play while you are away.

    Mini in braids - too cute. I read this post yesterday and I have had the "looky-loo" comment in my head since then. Cracking up - both at how that perfectly describes the TB taking in all the scary things, but also the "lookie-loo" in Oceans 12. Today I went into the shed in the middle of our flood and put hay inside and Pie was right in my face and when I went back into the shed 30 seconds later, Sovey was right in my face, and then, again, they switch when I went to get more hay. I started laughing at their "Lookie-Loo" con because your post was in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love the sunshine and warmer temps to be outside with our pony boys. Pudgie is so cute and snuggly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had some great barn time...I am so beyond looking forward to having consistently nice weather. I woke up THIS morning to a darn blizzard!!! and !!! :(

    Pudgie is so flippin' adorable, I'm glad you were able to rescue him. He's livin' the good life now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hound here is addicted to tennis balls. Love the photo of your shadows!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, I know the feeling of praying that they are good for at least 10 seconds so that you can end on a good note... its the worst when your hands are raw and you just want to quit! you have a cute horse; i'm sure he'll be nice and shiny this summer when you won't be battling with mud! Corinna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww Pudge!

    I love the picture of Laz's eye and the picture of your shadows. :) Very nice!

    Glad you had pretty weather and Laz was a good boy. Sounds like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete