About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, April 1, 2011

"Gooooooood Booooooooy"

I must have said that to Laz a thousand times during our ride yesterday.
Why? 
Duh...he's a damn good boy.
The funny thing, he literally knows what I'm saying.  He equates it to something good because he's whole body language relaxes and comprehends that he did something correct.
Isn't it sometimes insane how much they learn from us?
Words, phrases, body langauge, etc.  Even the act of kissing their muzzle...how they know and allow it, to be something of a nice act, is so sweet.  
I don't know when I saw a horse last kiss anything horse or say "Hey..Good boy!" ;)

 Laz's double mane...I may channel the look of endurance Arab's and make long braids for this summer
"You gunna do what???!! Braidz are for girlz Mom! I iz razehorz"
 Furry ears are always watching Pine tree of death (on left) for hiding killer rabbits, laser zapping butterflies and horse slicing sparrows
 Mason walked with us our entire ride in the arena.
"When is we gunna go dirtz road walkin so I can rollz in yummie mudz?????"
 Long relaxed boy
 The ride:
45 minutes of walking, trotting intervals of circles, around arena, over ground poles, walking, transitions and surprise canters.  I suspect the canter was the easier choice as it came out during our later trot work and he was getting tired.  I rode it for about 4 beats in each direction.  He transitioned to a calm walk after each time and was angelic. No bucking or head tossing that sometimes comes with the excitement of a canter.  He was angelic.  The canter...dear god...amazingly rocking horse perfection of smooth delight.  
Ugh.....but I never want to push him into it so when he gave it as an option, instead of putting him back down into a trot (which I also did several times), I just let him rock it out for a few strides.
H.e.a.v.e.n.

After the ride, I massaged him and re-groomed him
He was a sleepy, tired boy.
I like to massage him after a longer ride to help his body
I know he's twisted and screwed up.
I aim to get the Chiro back out in May...but down at the end of the post you'll see why not sooner.
 Sorry for the odd angle, but I was taking pics while massaging his rump, thigh and back with his favorite jelly soft curry
 Gummmmby

Creepy eye lid roll, but total relaxation is a PLUS!
 Two sweet babes who love to play at the barn....and they are getting better around each other, as in no rumpus room, but I always watch out for my sweet Mason

And some very exciting news!
We are hosting a Masterson Method clinic at our barn!!!
Tamara, who you may remember came from Wisconsin to Michigan to give Laz bodywork (amazing amazing stuff!) is coming back to teach us a "hand's on 1-day clinic"
It's going to be on April 30th  and if anyone of you is interested in joining (and can come to Michigan or are already near), please leave a comment and your email and I'll send you info.  
We have only a few remaining spots!
I know Laz will benefit HUGELY from the techniques I'll learn from Tamara!

8 comments:

  1. He is GORGEOUS!! I had horses growing up, my parents actually still have 2 of my babies in KY, but they are getting so old, in there 20's:( Oh, how I miss riding everyday..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first pic of Mason! What a great ride! Where in Michigan are you? I don't plan to come to the clinc but we go to MI often both of our families live there. Maybe one day I can meet Laz. Oh and you too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta love a horse that appreciates verbal praise :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I have heard some REALLY great things about the Masterson Method! One of the girls at my old barn got certified, maybe I'll have to get her out to do some work on my boy once he's down here! I'm sure you guys will have a good time and learn tons. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute! My horse associates "Good boy" with a walk break, so he will transition down just from the praise. I try to say other things, like his name or a cheer, to praise him if I do not want to walk yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They're so fricking smart, right? :) Have a great clinic-I'd LOVE to learn more about the method. One day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures and totally awesome about the bodywork clinic! I can't wait to hear how it goes. :) Laz is going to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy-I live in Royal Oak but board Laz in Howell :)

    ReplyDelete