About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mr Spookerson

This is re-capping, this past Tuesday, April 5th.
Sunny, cool but nice and wiiiindy
Some windy days, Laz is totally at ease but this past Tuesday it seemed the whole barn wanted to be on alert and test their flight skills.
Ok with me..we know how to handle it via the ground NO problem
Also, my Mom came back with my Husband and I for the week so thanks for her support of hanging at the barn with me and taking videos/pictures! xo

Mr. Spookerson and Mrs Pale....eck
 "Watz that?!"
 Trying to groom him (he literally cakes himself in ear tip to tail in mud daily)

 "I see something!! Lions are out is the rumor!"
 He would go from highly on alert, to trying to enjoy his grooming, to anxious...he was a mental mess lol
 I had to remind certain manners, correct certain behaviors but overall he was ok.  My poor Mom was worried when he blew a few huge spooks and ran off and stopped.  Not his typical behavior but that was ok, we just re-set and started over.
 "Don't bruzhs my hairssss, I has to runs Mom!"
 Once he calmed down a bit, I rewarded with carrot stretches




Here are videos that re-cap the day
Letting him run his steam off before I could finish the grooming I had started
Working on our "COME" command from being off the lead

Our ground pole trot work.  
I love ground poles for him to build up his muscle balance
Another bonus and growth for Laz! 
Even though he started out spooky and motors blazing, once he got out his sillies and I put him lead back on him, he settled right in and gave no issues and went right to work.

It's a long way from where we were a year ago...another reason this blog has proven to be so great.  
It's nice to be able to look back and compare our progress.  
We are lucky

5 comments:

  1. Looks like he thoroughly enjoyed the grooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first part looks and sounds a lot like where Drifter and I were today - he never did really settle down but the wind was blowing about 30 mph and he's still learning to trust me. Looks like Laz did really well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Kristen! He looks great. He's still not totally 100% soundness-wise, but he has come so far. I'm so happy for you guys. That is awesome.

    Haha, got to love the spooky days though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sprinks..I'd say he's b/w 60-75% there. A lot more work to come and he needs to be adjusted again in the future, but I'm waiting until after our masterson clinic which I know will help him tremendously.
    He's starting to reach more but he's a sneak at throwing his weight on his LR, the muscling shows it and I can see it. Slowly but surely! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good boy Laz calming down and I was especially impressed with the recall back to you. :)

    Who's big mean (joking) dog was that barking at Laz?

    ReplyDelete