About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, April 22, 2011

Proud Momma!

Those little winning moments
Seems little in comparison of what talents some of you and your equine partners do BUT I'm not diminishing our partnership either.
We've come a LONG LONG way.
I used to have a horse I could hardly lunge safely or walk...and yesterday we successfully did a local road ride/trail ride.
Laz and I went on a trail ride down the road (where I've hand walked him) with another boarder and her Arab gelding.  We were both a little nervous but we wanted to enjoy the beautiful sunny day and thought, "well if someone has a freak out, we can just turn around and go back home"
(Not a trail at all actually but we call it that..it was the dirt road off our barn's property but it's homes and brush along the side.  LOTS of mailboxes, driveways, etc to make good use of desensitizing.)
Both the boys were fantastic...a little tense (I'm sure because of our behavior) but totally great.
I have to say, with Laz, I'm so impressed with his trust in me and his ability to grow and change from his past.
While we were waiting for our trail friends to tack up, I warmed him up with a 'forward and retreat' down from the arena to the road, along the front and side property.
He was at full attention and coiled yet also trusting, breathing and taking it all in.
He seemed to be enjoying something new.
Our trail was only about 30 minutes (after our hour ride in arena) and was awesome.
We went down the road in a new direction which Laz and I have not done and turned and did the other direction for probably a mile total.
Mason came toddling down with us and kept close to our side and in the brush smelling the world.
Laz watched Mason and didn't spook while he made rustling noises in the tall weeds and stood patiently in people's driveways when cars needed to pass us by, with Mason sitting and waiting.
We had at least 6 cars, vans, trucks pass us. NO problems.
He also tolerated me constantly talking to Mason and directing him where to go, which may have helped me act more relaxed than I actually was because I had something else to focus on too.
At first, it was a little tough to tell if he would spook BIG because he felt so ready to go at any moment, but I just told myself "TRUST him" and don't ride for the spook, just ride through it IF it happens.
Laz had a great forward walk and ears were pricked the entire time. 
I was able to relax after the first few moments and kept talking, breathing and scratching his withers cooing "good boy!" to him
All this bareback, in a bitless, on my brave OTTB man.
So happy....it was a great day.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful - someone I think all his physical problems, and how you had to change what you were doing with him - has led you here. Very lovely - glad your outing went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo!!! What an awesome ride! I'm so happy for you guys:)

    I always liked having a dog on a trail ride. I feel like they flush out wildlife ahead of time that might spook the horses. But that could just be my hope:)

    Here's to more awesome trail rides this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! In my opinion, riding out is what it is all about. I am sure your ride and day was perfect. I am so happy for you and Laz and Mason and other rider friend enjoying the day. This is why you did it all - yes? It is what it is all about!

    Ride for the ride, and don't anticipate a spook that isn't there yet. Mason helps you stay focused on fun rather than on what could happen!

    Hooray for the perfect ride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks SO much for taking away the word verification!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaaaaaay! That is a big, BIG step forward! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Congrats! I'm so excited for you. You've put so much work, sweat, tears, etc. into Laz it's so fantastic that you finally get to trail ride together. :D We knew you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is amazing!! You have done amazing things with him and you should be proud!!!

    ReplyDelete