About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Laz's BFF

Laz and his lover, Scout.
Yes, Scout is a gelding and if thats what Laz wants, then I'm a happy and proud Momma :)
In all seriousness, it's so nice to see that Laz has a close buddy 
They come in and out of the 3 open stalls together
Here Laz was sucking down some water 
Another happy moment
Eating ok-check. Drinking ok-check.  Pooping ok-check.  Calm behavior-check.  
Whewwwww
Walking towards the back, where the 2nd shelter/lean to is
I am pleasantly surprised to see how confident Laz has been with his new surroundings and investigating everything.  
Maybe because he has a Painted shadow behind him? 
Scout came the night before Laz, so it's nice that they are able to adjust together as the new horses.
Laz's Dad came to help with grooming. 
It rained, POURED, all night so I was sure Laz would be a prune when we got there in the morning.
Only, he wasn't!
It seems the horses chose to stand in their stalls because they were all dry 
At our old place, Laz didn't feel comfortable in an open stall with anyone else, but for some reason here, he's been very happy and calm with Scout wanting to be with him.
He doesn't rush out like he used to.  In fact, I think he's placed himself above Scout as the leader.
Laz looks like a pony next to 6'4" Dad
Sunday;
Mason and I went out there to meet our farrier to work some magic on Laz
Mason and Biscuit are fast friends
The herd of 4 seems to be a happy little herd as they move together
 After Laz's trim below;
You can see, Laz and Scout are grazing and leaning on each other. lol
They seriously LOVE each other!
So far, things are still great :)
Scout came in the barn stall to watch Laz get trimmed for a bit but then wandered off 
I don't want any herd sour behavior but I think we are safe
 Laz's trim went really well.
We discovered (well my farrier did, and I just saw) a soft spot/bruise revealed after his bars were removed on his right rear.  I purchased a canvas protective bootie for when/if that sections opens up and starts seeping.  She didn't want to gouge into any further without more research/thinking/discussing. She'll be back in 2 weeks anyway, so we leaned on erring on the side of conservative.  I helped trim the fronts (still too weak/intimidated to work on his hinds as he jerks them away and they are sensitive) by bringing the heels down and toes back. Super fun! I really like doing that under the supervision as by myself I get a little reserved.
I still haven't ridden him at the new place. I want him to adjust without at least a few days and give his feet a chance to harden a little after today's trim.  I may hop on this week for a walk only ride.
Nothing makes me happier to see how peaceful and happy Laz seems at this place.
All that research, visiting and waiting payed off.

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and Laz. This looks like a really good fit for him. He can move freely and isn't afraid to go into the stalls.

    That is so funny how little Laz looks beside your husband!

    Glad Mason has friends there too.

    And this place is closer than where you were before! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo happy for you guys!!! Yeah! By the way, I posted a loading video of Enzo. You might have to go down a few posts. Love us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaaaaaaaaaay, New Place! Yep, I think ya picked a good one, my friend. ;-) Seems like Pony Paradise to me.

    And, hey, as long as Laz is in a healthy, loving relationship, who cares if it's with a mare or a gelding? Let him wave that gay pride flag proudly, lol!

    SO happy for you guys!! Better barn, better trimmer, better friendly ponies -- a total win!

    P.S. Your husband has scary robot eyes in that pic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the feeling of knowing the horses are happy at a new place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so happy that he has a new best friend and that he's happy and comfortable in his new home. Such a good boy. :D

    ReplyDelete