About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunny Sunday felt so good

Some days are just so good, that it makes you feel lucky to be alive. Just silly things, well, maybe not silly but definitely thing we can take for granted.
Today was one of those days.
It was Sunday, a Sunday after a great Halloween even. It was sunny and warmer than we expected. The air smelled like burning leaves but was still fresh with crisp wisps of a gentle wind.
We were greeted by our smiling friends "C & J" at their barn, who handed Billy farm fresh eggs, just hours old, from their friend's chickens. Being a new Vegan, I don't eat eggs anymore but can still appreciate anything fresh, organic and beautiful like these eggs are. Maybe because I'm a city girl, born and raised, with a love for the country life (or my image of it anyway).

Lazarus was moving around quite nicely in his stall today. Seeming to have/show no pain (we will know more with tomorrow's xrays) and to be in a great and relaxed mood. He even enjoyed his grooming today with less nervous chewing.

**note the red muck bucket..it's his designated pee bucket thanks to his years of racing, once I put him in cross ties, he pees. So, as to not smell up the barn/ruin the matting, I catch it in the muck bucket and dump outside. Oh, the things we do.

Mason (our Lab) who fell in love with one of the young horses at this farm, went to lick her thru the electric fence last week and got a face full volted kiss. He now thinks that horses electrocute and is much more timid around them. Here is my wonderful husband who has been coming out to the barn (again, an hour away from our home) to help out and lend support, throughout all of this with Laz. He was attempting to have Mason come close without being scared of getting shocked by 'electric horses.'


I snapped this photo below, for several reasons.
One, being my Parents who are in Greece for 4 mths sent "C & J" the barn owners, their own "Mati" , (the blue eye you see hanging at the top) to help ward away any bad things from happening. It's a Greek thing and yes, we are superstitious. "C" decided to put it in her barn, where she has 4 of her own horses and boards Laz, and 3 others. Great place to hang it, I must say!
Secondly, the eye charcoal image is of "C's" horse, Hap, whom she had for 32 years. How about that for horse ownership...that pretty much says it all in my book. Hap was a beautiful little mustang Appy, I never met her but have seen photos and her spirit definitely lives on thru "C's" love of horses and great stories of their time spent together.
The being said, so aptly named is the farm where we board at, being called "Hap'N Acres" after her beloved little Appy mare.


So after grooming Lazarus; rewrapping his quilts and standing bandages, treating his what we thought was a heel bulb sore, but we discovered was an abbesses, we pulled his Styrofoam shoes off for a day to allow his hooves to breathe and loaded him up with new bedding for extra cushion. I thought, 'you know... he needs a new tail treatment.' So I brushed it out gently, show sheened it up and did a herringbone braid.

Pretty masculine right? LOL! Well, I thought, show horses don't get to have all the fun! If I was a patient, I would want someone to brush and style my hair.


So we tucked in Laz for the day and I'll be seeing him bright and early in the a.m. He was a happy boy today.
And back to our home in Royal Oak where Mason plays farm dog in Howell, crashes back to the spoiled city dog at home on the coach, head on a pillow with his little Frenchie Bulldog brother, Pudgie to nap with. Not a bad life.

After the morning/afternoon at the barn, Billy and I did some Fall cleanup chores around our house. Can you believe these last clipping I got off my Hydrangea bush? So generous she was this year.
Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Laz! Happy Laz's tail - Happy Pudgie and Mason - very happy Hydrangea - way happier than mine!!!! Perfectly lovely day!

    ReplyDelete