About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Complete frustration

So, yesterday we had our round two of xrays and we review in person with the vet tomorrow morning. As of yesterday the Vet said could be removed of the Styrofoam boots, that are now causing sores on his heel bulbs, and to limit Lazarus's hand grazings to twice a day, for a half hour. OK, I thought...we are moving in a good direction!!
However, today's phone call was a bit of a downer. He prepared me that Laz's right rear is still rotating and it appears to be moving to the side. He wants the Styrofoam boots back on and Laz is now 100% stall bound with no outings allowed for a week, then a 3rd round of xrays.
Not what I wanted to hear, and I'm hoping for more answers tomorrow after our meeting of the 2nd round of xrays. Keeping the Styrofoam pads on are now causing issues with his heel bulbs, which now we have to soak his legs and treat that as well. Keeping him in his stall, when he is soooo eager to be out; won't that cause his ulcers to flare up again? And on that note, the Gastrogaurd that he is on...is there a generic (google says no) that doesn't cost $36 a day? Oh and xrays that cost around $300 each round we do.
I'm fearing that I'm facing a battle between the care of my horse and the financial destruction of my family and if I could be guaranteed he would be healthy and ok in the end, and in no pain between the ulcers, the laminitis, etc., then ok....but it seems that with every small baby step forward, there is a crashing halt of progress and more hurdles to face. I feel discouraged, frustrated and above all, horrible for Lazarus right now. My husband assures me to try to take it one week at a time, which I'm doing, but it's getting so difficult with working full time (he's unemployed currently and going back to school) and full time care of Laz, I just really needed and wanted a ray of light of some hope that what we are fighting for, is tangible.
The only choice I have and can do 100% is I will just breathe and continue doing what is asked and keep hoping and loving.


  1. Just take one small step at a time and don't try to look at everything at once or too far ahead. Ask your vet - there is a less expensive generic for Gastrogard, I believe. Sorry things are so hard - will keep sending good thoughts your way.

  2. Like Kate said, one step at a time and keep breathing. I will be thinking of you.

  3. I read your post earlier and I (w)racked my brain trying to come up with a suggestion or wise words. In the end, I just realized that it only helps to keep thinking positive thoughts about Laz and hope he heals. That is what I am doing!