About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

This past week

What a roller coaster this week, and I hate roller coasters! All those feelings of stomach twisting nauseous turns, excitement of hoping, let downs and gasping for air...
BUT, I do think we have turned a big corner. We took xrays of all four legs/hooves and tomorrow morning we shall see the outcome of the laminitis, damage and treatment.
I whispered into Lazarus's ear, 'if you can just walk/trot without pain...that is your goal buddy and if you can carry me, that is a benefit.' We shall see what the vet thinks and we'll go with his recommendations.

Below is a picture (off my blackberry so sorry if quality is a bit fuzzy) from 7 am this morning. The red ribbon you see in his mane is what we braided in on Sunday night. Being I am of the Greek heritage, we have something called the "Mati" which translates in Greek as "Eye." This eye (the blue/white beads) wards off evil spirits and brings good luck. I thought Laz could use a little superstitious luck, and I wore the remaining ribbon around my wrist so we were connected with good thoughts/luck.

See, the "Mati" brings perked, happy ears!

This picture is from last week, I think the day before he was diagnosed with Laminitis. He dragged me around the pasture wanting to eat grass and after his Colic episode, the vet approved it. However, we didn't know that laminitis was just lurking in the dark. He was happy and peppy for moments and eating (which he hadn't in a couple of days) so I went with it. In the picture below, though, you can see when he felt punky and not great. The sad ears and uncomfortable look in his face. I think the other horses in this picture, Ellie (the Roan) and Jazz (the Sorrel) even felt his discomfort.

After a couple hours of grazing and walking, he layed down with me in the pasture. This was concerning (again, this is last week..not today) and just sad. When he normally lays down, its for a few minutes in the pasture, but mainly he'll wait until evening in his stall to lay. The middle of the day laying down definitely was not the norm for him. He just seems like a little baby here, wanting a cozy blanket, hugs and warm carrot soup.
Then a few minutes later, he was up again and perked. It was strange! Here is a shot I got of him while we walked the property down to the grass hay field where he mowed! I do love this picture too, the perked ears, attentive eyes and the trees colored by Fall's cool weather.
Tomorrow we get his xray results and we'll see what paths we have to take to continue to have Lazarus feeling better.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the x-ray results - keeping fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope everything will be ok. I have heard of horses making a full recovery from laminitis, and continue on with their regular riding with no issues. I had a horse in the barn I boarded and taught at that had chronic founder. I got the owner to let me "take over" her treatments because she was basically going to die of it. I got my vet and farrier to work with her, and within a few months, with proper diet and excersise, she went into my lesson program, and later we even showed her as well. So. Be encouraged!!! Laminitis is not the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your baby is still doing better. He is just adorable!

    ReplyDelete