About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Xrays are in!

Xrays came in on Wednesday (8 am) and my husband and I, and the barn owner all met with our Vet to review.
So crazy to see my boy's feet and legs up on a light box and the anticipation was gut wrenching! What the vet reviewed was some promising news as he finally admitted he was quite happy with Lazarus's progress, as he thought on this past Sunday, that we would be putting him down on Monday (lump in throat swelled with his admittance of that).
What we saw was he did rotate in his right front and right left, both 3 degrees. Which typically is not horrible, however, as I'm understanding laminitis to be one of the mystery ailments, with Thoroughbreds (or other breeds too) that are typically thinner soled hoofed animals, a 3 can still be quite painful. A typical thickness of a sole (from bottom of hoof up to bottom of coffin bone...I believe) is 20 m, and Laz is about 10. So being he is thinner soled, the 3 degrees is a bit painful. However, the vet thinks that with corrective shoeing now on all fours (he had fronts) and with using equipak (more of that to come) he could be pain free.
So, where are we at now...today?
We are slooooowly healing sweet Lazarus. This is the turtle's race, not the hare. He is still wearing the Styrofoam shoes which we change everyday after he crushes them down. This helps with alleviating his foot pain (whoever thought of that is a fricken genius!!!). I will say, Laz is great about allowing us to change his front feet, but his backs...oh boy he is wicked!
Two more weeks of this and then another set of xrays will tell us if the rotation has stayed the same, gotten better or worse. From there, we will walk down a path of a plan.
Lazarus is eating/drinking now more with his usual gusto, he is stall bound with three hand grazing outings allowed for an hour each daily until next week where we wait for Vet's review. His stall is so plush with about 6 bags of shavings on top of his mat and is in a larger stall to keep him comfy. This stall has a half door so he can look out at his herd buddies. His temp has stayed normal. He is still on gastrogaurd (to help with ulcers and keep him eating) and Equioxx (anti-inflam) once a day that we administer. He is getting spoiled with carrots and kisses that he may come out of this thinking he is a top Stud. ;)
Our goal: To have Lazarus walk/trot (maaaaybe canter but who cares if not) with me on his back, PAIN-FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment