About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Four shoes and a new playpen

After two weeks of being completely stall bound, Lazarus got the OK for some new changes in his day. The last xray results (showing no further rotation) allowed us to get four shoes on with Vettec for support with hopes he won't rotate any further. I'm told this is often trial and error and we can just hope for good results.
Hope has gotten me this far..and I've got lots of hope left!

So, when I first arrived, Lazarus was just hanging out in his stall not moving hardly at all. The vet warned me the shoes are trial and error with his improvement. He definitely was showing more signs of being lame. I did notice that once he did start moving, he moved a bit more and more. He is majorly favoring his right rear, which has the most severe rotation.

After checking in briefly with Laz, I took Mason and Pudge to play in the arena and burn off some of their crazy energy. Living in the city/suburb area, these boys love their farm days! Mason especially! I always think, if Mason were a horse...holy cow, what an athlete!
He had fun jumping the cavelletti poles and racing around. With Billy gone for hunting season this weekend, the pups were due for some major play time and I always feel bad leaving them behind at home when I head to the farm.

It was such a beautiful sunny day, I urged Lazarus out with some carrots to stand in his new 16' x 14' deep sand pasture approved by his vet. Maybe it's me, but I love him being able to get outside, breathe the fresh air and stand in the light.


Here is a close up shot of his shoes and the Vettec (which acts like a Nike Shock) for support for the laminitis. Right now, he is not acting like he gets relief from the shoes. Vet is coming back out on Monday to check in so we'll see.
You can see the part under his heel bulb is the Vettec which acts as a cushion silicone type pad that sticks to a mesh barrier in between the shoes and his hoof. Crazy but supposedly there are good results out there. It's a lot easier on us, not having to change out the Styrofoam pads which we did for a month.

In his new pasture/run in, he is able to chat with the other horses which I know he enjoys. They are sweet too, coming up to the gate and spending more time up there than normal, I think giving him support and company.

Pudge was hanging out in Laz's stall as I changed out his standing wraps. He was so intrigued by Lazarus and vice versa. This is only their second time meeting each other.

This was a funny shot I took as I was re-wrapping Lazarus, I notice Pudgie just sitting in his stall looking out, completely unaware of the 12oo lb animal that could stomp him.

On a normal day with Lazarus feeling better (aka not favoring his rear) Pudge may not have been so lucky. This made me nervous and made me laugh that Pudge just trotted right out behind Laz with no fear. Not smart. After this, I shut the door for Pudge's safety. Have to laugh at the French Bulldog no fear mentality. Pudge is a puppy mill rescue, so now that he has bonded with us, he really bonds and wants to be with us every minute.
Mason playing with Caitlyn, the farm owners dog.
Pudge not sure he is so into the farm life, his brothers loves so much.

Here is a better view of what Lazarus has now for his healing. We hope he can handle this for the next 30 days. So far, so good other than showing new signs of adjusting to shoes. He is able to go in and out as he pleases 24/7.

The kind eyes of a fighter.

5 comments:

  1. I bet he is pleased to be able to get outside a little. Not to mention how pleased you must be.

    Fingers crossed for an easy recovery with no complications.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that he can get outside a bit in the fresh air, and very good news that there is no more rotation! With luck, he'll adjust to the new shoes - here's hoping for continued improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad Laz is outside now. Certainly fresh air and other horses can only help his healing. I am not familiar with the Vettec shoes. I hope he gets some relief.
    Pudge is the cutest thing ever, sitting in the stall looking out the door. What a sweetie. Mason looks right at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed by your dedication--this has been a tough time to be a horse owner, but you haven't given up. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news! The shoes sound very cool, and I'm sure getting outside will be very good for your boy mentally. And your dogs are so cute!

    ReplyDelete