About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A glorious Sunday in March

Hello March!
March is my Bday month, it's also the starting tastes of Spring is near, longer daylight is coming back and I LOVE me some March...
Sunday, Billy (El Hubbie), Mason and I went to the barn.
Billy went for a jog as I groomed and warmed up Laz. I had been begging him to come out to take videos and pictures of us.  Being he's a HS varsity Basketball coach, winter season gets fun but hectic, so finally he got a day off to come to the barn.
After lunging Laz to warm him up, he trotted right up to his Dad.
So cute...after he put on a little snorting trot show when Billy came running back, he pretended that Billy was a horse eating monster.

"ohh u is safeeeee, I is silleee ponee. We is OK, MaySon."
I brought him back to bridle in our bitless, helmet up and stack the crates to hop on
Oh!?
What's that you say?
Why yes...this IS a glorious new beautiful custom saddle pad that Laz doth don on his rumpa
He thinks it's pretty snazzy that an artist painted his face that he gets to wear proudly. 
"I is HANDSUMMMMMmmm"
Thank you to Polar Square Designs for this most amazing pad. 
HUGS to you Kate! 
You make us look way better than we are

Off we go to the pasture
Pasture de Bucks a lot
I kid..that was just one day, he's been 10000% better
Isn't this field glorious?
Seriously...I pinch myself that I get to board here
Sometimes I wonder if Laz would misbehave without his Mason pup by his side.
I'm sure unknowingly, Mason gives Laz comfort.
I love that dog.
Warming up at a walk, a bit past sleeping.
Easing into a trot..
Cantering a bit...
 Some canters I ask for, some he offers up
I know as we ease back into riding, I TRY to be extra careful NOT to push him past what he can comfortably do
Sometimes when trotting gets tiresome, he'll hop into an awkward canterTrot so I allow it so he can stretch into it better 
Correct leads...NOT even worrying about those right now
Hunch back much?
Oh well, as least I've got slack reins
Let me tell you, riding in a saddle again is SO weird after two years off.
I feel like a hot sloppy mess and I'm trying to ride, give Laz the correct commands (lol at that lately) and not slap around his back. 
Practice makes perfect, right?...as he can handle it
Love me this OTTBreath

And a couple videos below
They tell the truth don't they?

I see where his RH is still mega weak, but as both my Vet, Trimmer, Chiro seem to agree ; work him as he can handle
Some moments of it looks great to me (him, NOT me) and some breaks my heart that he isn't sound and I want to pull him up. 
It's balancing his fitness, happiness, soundness, work ethic, humane ethic, horsemanship, riding properly (what's that anymore?), retraining an OTTB, building confidence...what else?!
Oh, having fun :)



 My aim is 1x/2x a week riding to start, with every other day hand walking to get him to 3x a week riding, and so on...for now...

12 comments:

  1. Yay for you and Laz! He really is such a good boy! Keep up the good work with him.

    I love the way he talks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pad is just a pad until it's on a glorious steed :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laz looks perfect and so do the pastures and Mason and the saddle pad and your riding! So wonderful. Happy March!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lovely pictures! Great videos as well, love his little canter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think March is the month that most awesome people were born in. Haha. LOVE the saddle pad and the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think of it as physical therapy for him. I can tell you from personal experience that PT hurts but it's necessary if you want to get full use of that limb back.

    Happy birthday month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how much I love these:) Video is awesome - Mason makes me smile:) Happy birthday fellow March baby!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Birthday is March also, yeahhh! But it means I am getting older, yuck, LOL. Love the videos and you 2 look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a fellow March baby as well :)
    And Laz looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, so many awesome March babies! :) Thanks everyone for not screaming "Why are you riding your super uber lame horse!!" I've lost a couple of readers and I think it's b/c of that...but I'm being honest, and here is where we are at. It's a looooong rehab when you have a destroyed hoof or two. We keep our heads up and stay focused.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up the good work - Laz looks very happy. So do you! Happy birthday - another good birthday month also begins with M...

    ReplyDelete