About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Enjoying October

October is really becoming one of my favorite months.
It is perfect riding-no bugs, a slight chill to make it comfortable for both of us during riding and gorgeous Fall colors
This past week, I was able to see Laz Tues-Sun everyday! Glorious!
With weather changes, I really like to put my eyes on him daily
We rode a few times this week when the weather cooperated
 We rode apparently on garbage pick up day, which made for funny STARES (no spooking) when we road walked by every house.
Laz snorted at all of them, and then relaxed and licked and chewed; funny boy
 We found some beautiful grass along out walk and stopped for a little chew
 I rode him totally barefoot (no easyboots) at the walk when the ground was wet and a little more forgiving.  He is still tender toed and I recently just ordered some Keratex hoof harder to see if that helps him out a bit
 His perfectly imperfect prints
 I've been alternating days of riding, with ground work and/or grooming and grazing.
This past week, Scout, his Paint friend, was moved across the State to his Mom's new home due to a job change and Laz really seemed to miss him.
I took my boy for a hand walk instead of a ride and just talked to him, and made sure he was OK.
I also took his temp, and all was fine-just to make sure it wasn't something else making him seem glum.  Ate/drank normal-I think he was missing his buddy and not understanding why he was gone.
 Poor Bubba
 We grazed along our road walk and just enjoyed the sun
 A horse in the distance was whinnying and Laz was on alert and started calling back
 He never misbehaved or acted up, just shouted back
Later that day, Laz had another hoof trim which is always so fascinating. I literally learn something new each and every time.  Laz was very patient and good for this trim. Yay!


My regal Mason LOVES to run in the field after his Frisbee while I feed Laz his Beet Pulp mix
Mason's diet too is getting re-evaluated and I ordered some Brewer's Yeast and Wild Salmon Oil for him and Pudgie.

 I've also bumped up Laz's BP amount and added in 2 cups of Timothy grass pellets in the wet soaked mix.  He now gets a full bucket (8 qt) of soaked BP mix
He LOVES it 
He's moving so much more now that I am keeping a very close eye on his weight.

 I still haven't put his Fall sheet on...I have it at the barn, but keep checking him.
His ears, nose and body are always so toasty warm, and his fur is nice and thick so I leave him be naked.
He is getting 8-10 flakes of grass hay a day as well to help keep him warm
I've purchased a Busy Horse hay net to stuff full during the winter days for him too


With Scout gone, Laz and Justin (the WB) are hanging out more.
Here Laz is fake nipping at him reminding him that he is above him
Their interaction is funny. Laz pins his ears at him for 2 seconds and then Justin adjusts himself and then they hang out. I've yet to see Laz kick or bite bite anyone.  He makes motions to bite at the horse but never actually bites him. 
 They are buds and are re-establishing a 3 horse herd dynamic
It's great that none of the three horses have herd bites on them
They have plenty of room, food, respect and seem to be content together
and
HAVE A VERY HAPPY HALLOWEEN!


8 comments:

  1. Love the photos!
    And I agree, October is my favorite month. This year's October was especially nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a lovely post. It details everything I too love about Fall. NO BUGS! Amen, sistah! Giant pumpkins, yeeehaw! I am dying to hear if you like Keraflex hoof hardener. I have considered it many times for my mare. MANY TIMES. But for some reason never tried it. Isn't handwalking great sometimes? So darn sweet.
    Hope you have a fun halloween night! Don't let the zombies gitya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. His weight looks really good in my opinion. You're lucky he gets so fuzzy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laz is looking so pretty. Sounds like you guys have been enjoying yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He looks so lovely! Healthy and shiny and happy:) October has been good to both our boys! I'm so impressed with super trail pony Laz as well...what a great partnership you guys have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Late to this post - sorry! So sad to hear about Scout. I hope Laz is doing ok. It is so hard, I think, for them to understand why horses go in and out of their lives.

    Laz looks good. You make me feel guilty - I don't feed my boys half of what you feed Laz. I need to reassess I think, especially since our pastures are bare due to our year of flooding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Update after your comment on my blog)I worry too about the cold. I am sorry if I helped in anyway to convert you to my winter worrying ways. I believe in my heart that it is right, but it is so against what I know as a human. The universe must be laughing at me - I sleep peacefully all summer when the bugs and heat REALLY do hurt them and then I fret all winter when they are probably happy as can be.

    I upped my boys hay after reading your blog the other day. My three now get 10 flakes each throughout the day but they don't get much grain - not anywhere close to what Laz gets. At least that is the plan. In reality, Pie eats some of Sovey's 10 flakes and Sovey eats some of Foggy's 10 flakes and Foggy gets more grain because of it. That worries me because metabolizing hay is where it is at as far as heat production. Grain is empty icing calories and doesn't do much for heat generation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the shadow picture! Sad that his buddy moved away, but he still looks like he's loving this new place. :) If you want to try something while you wait on your hoof hardener, salt water mixed in a spray bottle prevents thrush and hardens hooves. :)

    ReplyDelete