About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunshine babes

March 25th-My bday
I turned 34 and played hookie for part of the day to go and see my Laz Star 
(and though not legally mine, but mine through pony luv-Little Chief)
Even though Spring is trying to come, it's still in the 30's but in the sun, it feels like 50's.
It's bright and warm.
I got to the barn shortly after their breakfast, and during nap time part I of I'm sure IIII
Spoiled babies, and rightfully so
 Even wicked ponies are cuddly cute when laying down
 Laz was filthy...always. I swear he's only clean the few hours I'm with him.
He was a sleeeepy man and thoroughly enjoyed his grooming session.
He's been a bit off lately with his RR and showing signs of 'ouch' so I rode him only at the walk.
We did some arena work, and then trail rode around the farm property and out on the road for a few house's length and back.  I wanted a nice bday hack and he gave it to me.
 When I dismounted, he was much more alert so I decided to hand walk him some more.
I figured he could handle it, the road was soft and squishy footing and I wasn't on his back.
Mason: "anyone need a tire?"

 Glamor shot.
This was as clean as I could get him.
He's dusty...DUSTY. Needs a bath so badly.
 After our 1 mile walk, he came back and decided he wasn't going to miss out on nap time. The whole barn was quiet and it was peaceful.
He quickly went into a REM state, where his chin dropped on the ground and he started quivering.
Awww
 And then playful Sawyer went up to sniff and I think wanted to lay down next to him (b/c he plopped down one second later) but Laz didn't 100% trust him or his request and whipped himself up.
 And this...have you ever had a Valomilk?
They are from the early 1900's and I heard about it NPR and thus the craving and needing to find one to eat began...
 They are oooozing with marshmellowy liquidness of deliciousness.
SLURP!
Does not disappoint!
Messy and sticky and everything a good candy bar should be.
Eat.in.private.
Don't look at calories or fat...just eat and love it.
 ***

Saturday.  
Deja vu!
Obviously Laz has a fave napping area.
 Awww my humpless camel babe
 He is so comfortable with me walking up to him when laying down, it's awesome. It makes me feel I generate a trusting vibe to him.  He allowed me to rub rub rub his belly and laid flat out and stretched and moaned.
I walked back inside to grab his halter/lead and found the littlest inside rubbing his itchy spots on a water bucket holder
"ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes!!!!!"
 "What? I itz"
 So..I grabbed the mini first (who we now think has Shetland in him) and groomed the bejesus out of him.
And worked his fat little self.
I lunged him flat, and over a raised cavaletti and one on the ground.
He did great and is very careful about his little feet
 Future H/J poneeee
 He also had a mini-melt down and started rearing and decided he was DONE working and then went to galloping around like a mini maniac and trying to rip my arm out of socket.  I let him carry on and made him trot 3 circles in each direction nicely before we quit for the day. I hand walked him around the arena (b/c he needs manners when leading too) and re-groomed him again.  He ended it as a nice pony.
We want to train him to be child safe. 
Right now...he's a child killer, lol!
***
Next up...my sore??? limping all week, Laz?
Just when I'm about to pick up the phone in a panic and call Cliff  "He's SO sore!" Laz goes to a beautiful trot and wanting to play and looking amazing.
wtf?
Whatever, I'll take it.
Maybe he was muscle sore? Who knows but on Saturday he was moving beautifully.
We did ground work only b/c I didn't want to push it, but I had him trotting over ground poles to help with back/belly and stifle muscling.
He did great but he's not so graceful and likes to hit the poles with EVERY foot.
Come on...lazy! ;)
He had fun free lunging and would race around and then coming flying up to me, stop and nuzzle for a carrot. 
HA! 
Ok...he got it.
 The BO and I took the horses (Sawyer and Laz) down the road again (my new favorite b/c I get to exercise both Laz and myself) for a mile walk.
Mason doing is best mud otter impression.
Really?
He stinks...now I have 2 babies that are in need of a serious bath.
 Laz nibbling the spring grass.
Only a teeeeny tiny bit.
It's CHOCK full of sugars now so I can't allow it.....sigh

Only one major freak out when one of the neighbors was raking up by his garage.
Laz swore it was Freddy Krueger and wanted NOTHING to do with him.
We walked the horses up so they could meet the man and Laz horn snorted the entire time and grew to be 19h's tall.  He ended up calming down but not entirely.
My goal is to continue ride/hand walk him down the road so it's as comfortable to him as the arena is.
Overall, they did great though.
Back home-lunch time
 The two besties eat together
 Laz was soooo sleepy, he kept yawning, and eating.
His eyes are so expressive...I can basically tell his mood just from his eyes.
I'm sure he had a great nap after I left.

9 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday!

    LOVE the sleepy-eyes Laz pics; he looks likes he's about to nod off & have dreams of giant horse-sized carrots & horse cookies.

    One idea about the soreness -- maybe all the wet and mud has made his soles soft? Obviously talk to Cliff, but Keratex Hoof Hardener is great stuff and I've also heard nothing but rave reviews about Magic Cushion. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!

    Oh what Frizzle said about the soft soles could definitely be a possibility. I don't have any product recommendations except regular salt water (mix 1/4 to 1/2 cup salt in a spray bottle with water). It hardens the soles and frogs and also kills/prevents thrush. It's cheap too! I just clean out the hooves and spray them down (only on the bottom) daily. Works great for us. His frogs used to be mushy now they are gorgeous!

    Also on the dirty horse. After you brush him a damp rag will take that layer of dust off of his coat so he'll at least appear cleaner LOL! :D

    He is so gorgeous in that cantering picture. And I about died when I saw the one of Mason in the mud puddle. I wouldn't let him anywhere near my car LOL! Of course labs shed water better than other breeds don't they?

    I'm glad you had a fun birthday weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy late birthday! (lol at the pic of Mason)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Sounds like you had a good one! I have to say that Mason totally cracks me up with his shenanigans! Laz's sleepy face is so cute--I love it when they sleep so soundly they smoosh their chins into the ground :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude, you take the funniest pictures:) I love sleepy evil mini and Laz, muddy Mason and Racehorse Lycius! Great post, glad you're having fun with your boys. If your mud is anything like our mud, YES, it sucks big time right now...and all ponies are gross right now (at least the ones kept outside) so Laz is in good company:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Glad you had a nice birthday with your equine kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laz seems to be enjoying this sunshine and the warmth it's providing! He does look like such a sleepy, sweet boy.

    That little mini sounds like a handful! It's a good thing he's a mini.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Laz horn snorted the entire time and grew to be 19h's tall." LOLOL!!

    What a fun post! Sounds like a great birthday - happy belated! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Belated Birthday! I think you had a wonderful birthday weekend with your sweet animals.

    I am so jealous of you rubbing on Laz while he snoozes. That sounds divine to me!

    I love Mason with the tire - but I know this Lab trick of mud rolling. How did you get that stinky puppy home?

    ReplyDelete