About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hoof cast #3

Laz's RH pre trim, after hoof cast #2 has done it's job

The cast helps with keeping his seedy toe (infected white line) protected
New growth below-yay yay yay growing in at a nice angle.
Still LOADS more to come/grow but it's a start.
The remains of cast #2 below
 Trimmed RH below
applying the glue for cast #3
 We were going to apply this screen to hold the Vettec Gel CS to help stimulate the sole gently and protect further with thrush...
 But Laz was quite a wiggle worm, and that needs time to set and then more time to cast correctly.
So, my trimmer opted to just cast since that is the more important material for the time being.

2" Equi cast below, on our cast #3
It looks a bit messy due to the glue getting smeared, he had to re apply after Laz moved too much.
 He also put more glue on toe and had me sprinkle sand onto it as it dried to make an extra protective 'toe' barrier for our riding.
He wants to me ride, ride, ride and I got formal approval to take Laz trail riding-YAY!! and to NOT trim him AT ALL (no roll, rasp, bevel) so he can see his 'true' growth for our next visit.
It's going to be so HARD but I promised.
So, I'm putting my rasp/knife aside for the time being. Not forever, duh, but for the time being and we'll see what Laz's growth on all his hooves look like at the next visit.

Laz is moving beautifully. He is bouncier and I see him trotting and cantering out in the field with his buddies more often.  He is also getting his Fall fuzzies-his coat feels like bunny fur as of late.
Sigh, a sure sign that less sun is around the corner.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like good news to me! Riding adds circulation and health and growth. And, free play at liberty of course is perfect for the big, brave boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, that new angle on the RH looks great! It's also quite promising that he had so much growth so quickly. The casts seem to be helping him tremendously. Yay!

    As for not rasping--omg, I don't think I could do it! Lol. Especially since we moved to the new place, which has tons of coral rock. Salem has been doing a lot of self-trimming (which is great!), but I find myself grabbing the rasp to smooth out the rough edges every few days. He would probably be just fine if I left them, but the OCD side if me would be *dying*! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking all great!!!!!!!! Have fun riding!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete