About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, December 23, 2012

The loss of a dear friend, Justin


 Yesterday was one of those days, where it's tremendously hard to be a horse Mom.
My friend E, lost her beautiful WB X Justin yesterday...Laz's best friend.
 He showed mild signs of colic, we met at the barn and she did everything, everything right to try and help him as we waited for our Vet. Thankfully, our Vet was on Emergency call but despite about 5 hours of medicine, hand walking, massage, curry combing, tubing full of electrolytes it was starting to become clear that he was showing signs of possible distress. 
She made the brave decision (and to say incredibly hard is an understatement) to end it and not let him suffer.
We all cried, sobbed and all our hearts shattered.
 Laz had been by Justin's side almost the entire time. Free walking with us as we hand walked Justin for hours.  
Towards the end, we had to keep shooing him off as he kept nudging at his buddy "come on...come play!"
E thanked her lovely boy for the 11-1/2 yrs that he was her best friend and the world's best horse.
He really was a kind hearted, silly, and  loving horse!
 As her friend, I was there for Justin along with the Vet, the Barn owners and her Mom so she leave with her boyfriend and not have to watch him be put down.
 It was very quiet, very peaceful yet completely heart breaking.
I kissed him, told him how thankful I was that he and Laz loved each other before he went.
 I shut his eyes and just wept.
 I cried because my friend lost her beautiful, talented horse so suddenly...
 I cried because my horse lost his best friend...
 His favorite riding buddy...
 Justin gave Laz confidence and friendship
There was just a very special, honest and caring relationship between these two.


 I know Laz has never had a friend, in my owning him, like Justin
 They were together always. 
If I took Laz away, Justin waited for him.
 Two like and kind minds...
 Playful


It will take a lot of time for us all to heal and for the herd to adjust.
It's never easy to lose a very special soul
Justin-Tyme, I know you know you were well loved. 
I want to thank you for being my horse's best friend and for being a sweet and gentle horse.  
May you be running in heaven above
You will be missed dearly.

18 comments:

  1. What a heart breaking loss. My thoughts go out to Justin's mom and to everyone at the barn. I hope Laz copes well. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for you, your friend, and your horses loss. But this is a beautiful post that makes me see how special he was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your friend, you and Laz. I hope her good memories of her horse will help ease the pain one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a heartbreaking part of horse ownership. Luckily you were all there to support each other through a very difficult time. Thoughts and prayers to all who love Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sad and sorry for you and Laz and E. Please know I will be thinking of you all. Sweet Laz will need your love now, but you will be there for him - you always are. Oh, I have great hope that horses have an extra help inside that we don't have - maybe Laz will just know that his friend is ok and out of pain and in a great place. I hope he knows and doesn't feel sad. Many hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to everyone who loved this sweet sounding boy. Praying for everyone involved. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely memorial to a special horse. SO sorry for your friend's, your horse's and your loss.

    The Flyaway Horse

    Oh, a wonderful horse is the Fly-Away Horse-
    Perhaps you have seen him before;
    Perhaps, while you slept, his shadow has swept
    Through the moonlight that floats on the floor.
    For it's only at night, when the stars twinkle bright,
    That the Fly-Away Horse, with a neigh
    And a pull at his rein and a toss of his mane,
    Is up on his heels and away!
    The Moon in the sky,
    As he gallopeth by,
    Cries: 'Oh what a marvellous sight!'
    And the Stars in dismay
    Hide their faces away
    In the lap of old Grandmother Night.

    EUGENE FIELD


    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear that! My heart goes out to your friend, you and Laz. Sweet journeys, Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss. Those pictures of Laz and Justin made me tear up, what a special friendship they had.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh no...I'm so very sorry. You did a wonderful thing by staying with him, and I know he had a wonderful life. You can see what a special relationship he and laz had. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sooo sorry to hear today.I am crying also on Christmas eve day as I read this. As I sure know how difficult it sure is for all involved. Send Laz some extra love from me!! xoxox I am sure Enzo and Palidor greeted Justin at the gates for sure. More xoxoxoxo's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, I'm so terribly sorry for your friend's loss so close to the holidays. I'm sure Laz misses him terribly too. It's very hard to let them go but she made a very brave decision to do right by him.

    Many hugs to you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How heartbreaking!! It sounds like he was loved by all, and I'm so sorry for the loss of such a wonderful horse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how tragic! I'm so sorry for E and Laz. You gave Justin a lovely tribute to what a good friend he was to Laz and E. My heart goes out to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been away from my computer for a few days, so I am just seeing this now. My heart is breaking because I know all too well how painful it is to let a suffering horse go. Thoughts and prayers to everyone that knew him.

    To place your horse's need for you to let him leave his failing body above your need to keep him with you - that - is the greatest and purest love. -Cynthia Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sadness... Give your friend a hug for me, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my goodness :( :( That is so so sad. I am so sorry for you and your friend. Death is such a horrible unfair thing we have to go through :(

    ReplyDelete