About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, July 30, 2010

Photo series-Laminitis Jumping

Learning to ride in a Hunter/Jumper barn, I do miss jumping.  But I would so rather have my own healthy horse to ride and forsake jumping.
So, instead, we do our own version of jumping*.
Here is a fun series of photos, showing Laz and I over the cavalletti poles that we 'jump' to stretch his back, lift his stomach muscles, keep his mind healthy and working his legs differently.
(*please understand there is NO actual jumping going on here...just want to firmly put that out there)

Nice back leg stretch

Good lift here and good weight on his bad leg
Lazy leg drag


Good lift of bad leg
Lazy drag but look how muscley he looks...how?! 
Maybe all that hand walking did pay off?!

Nice lift for Laz...could my arms be any straighter? LOL!



Good boy! 
Isn't it awful sometimes how photos show how bad your equitation is! Eck
My toes already wing out, it is more comfortable for my knees, don't know why...
Oh well :)
After our ride, putting Laz back in his paddock
He always tries to quickly eat the grass that hides under his gate while I shut him in.
Sweet boy
Nothing like a good ride completed before a summer storm hits

7 comments:

  1. Bad eq? Sheesh. You're riding an OTTB over 'fences' in a halter bareback. Most people can't even dream of that.

    Besides, the rules are a little more lax when bareback. Yay for wearing a helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet boy. You couldn't ask for a kinder ottb. I agree with the above poster, yay for a helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures - I'm a great fan of ground poles, even for horses that do jump - you can work on lots of things without stressing their legs - all jumping rounds can be described as equivalent to flatwork with poles interspersed. He looks pretty please to be doing the work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, ground poles are an excellent way to work all kinds of muscles without putting too much strain on joints and tendons and what-not. You guys look great! And I will trade you your zombie arms and wing toes for my hunchback, wiggly legs, and retarded hands! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking is the best thing to firm up muscles and tummies, I think. Your photos are wonderful - I know exactly what you mean about pictures and equitation - mine always make me look like I am the worst rider ever. My feet turn out too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He DOES look great! You would never know how limited his routine is. Nice Job! He really does pick up his feet well. I bet he will be great over something bigger:)

    Miles thinks ground poles are super fun for rolling:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. He looks great! I love ground poles, the really help with muscle development.

    ReplyDelete