About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Same day Hoof/Trimming comparisons on 9-16-14

All photos are of RH (right hind)
Front shot; I set my camera on the ground
 Sole shot
Lateral side shot below
Medial side shot below

***
After my rasping/knife work below (no nippers yet-I don't own any and they scare me but I'll need to get over that in my future)
Lateral below
 Medial
Front shot..still seems to load higher on lateral side so actually after photo I rasped that side down a bit more
 
Sole shot. Frog apex was stretched down at toe so far! You can compare to pre trim photo

 Medial heel is really underrun and although it looks longer (it may be) I think it needs to back up/stand up on it's own. Will it? The bar is all jammy jammed in there too
 I pared bar alongside lateral side of frog collatral groove and bar on medial side (left side of photo) and you can see bruising underneath. LOTS of licking/chewing after I removed it. It's quite smashed down in there, I had a really hard time picking my knife 'under' the bar as it was almost smeared into his sole.

I treated all sole/open white line with Thrush Off and plan to soak soon in white lightening as well.
He walked/trotted really nicely after this trim so I'm hopeful I'll get that hoof back a bit more normal before winter sets in and his growth halts.

Thoughts?


4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's one tough hoof!! What's the underlying cause of the laminitic wedge/seedy toe and imbalance? I'm loving that you're keeping his walls completely non weight bearing, they obviously wouldn't stand up to the job. Is that medial heal suffering from an old injury? Got any rads?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hoof is so bizarre! I wish I had something more to say, but I'm trying to wrap my head around it still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're such a good mama!
    Laz is obviously telling you that he likes and approves of your trim, and of course his opinion is the most important. ;-)
    Have you ever tried putting a few drops of grapefruit seed extract into your White Lightning soaks? Can't remember if I've asked you that (I probably have!), but it super charges the soak. I did that for Salem's last Monster Abscess of Doom and it seemed to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I'm baffled by that hoof! I think you're on the right track though just from his reactions. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things improve quickly before winter. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete