About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, June 10, 2011

Dear abscess...are you there?!

It's me, Kristen...and I need you to GET OUT 
Laz is acting sore...still.  Not any better. In fact, definitely more lame.
He is sore walking through the barn on concrete.  He won't trot at free lunge and I'm not making him, or obviously riding him. 
Cliff offered to come out again, which I'm taking him up on.
He think it's an abscess, I'm sure he's right...I hope it's just that and not something worse.
Coffin bone fracture, further rotation, .............ugh...
He seems to be doing ok on his hour of pasture (muzzle is on it's way) and I've had some professionals state I should look into doing a liver detox for him being there are signs of liver issues
(I guess laminitis in the rear legs is one, muscle atrophy in back is another, etc)

"LaaaazArooooooooo"
 "Lazzie Boiiii!"
"Hmmpf...it's grazz time duncha noe"
 "I dunt c u"
 "yummmmmm yum yum, no big broun hors heres"
 "I cant c u ifs my eyz is closd"
 "oh oks..one mure bitz"
 "An a drix"


So what to do with a horse that is hurting, not wanting to walk (forget trot) much.
I had him walk about 5 minutes to see if he would 'loosen' up and feel better.
Not really.
So, I decided to use some of my Masterson skills on him
Behold....sleepy pony
 A ha! 
So, after some of our massaging he opted to rest on his hurting leg.
A good sign, being he really gave me a hard time (not recently like him at all) lifting his left rear up to be picked.  
 A couple days ago, when it was HOT as the south, I just bathed him
In these pictures you can see how he's just standing oddly.
He was such a good boy though and stayed ground tied and really enjoyed his scrub down (not so much the sheath cleaning but hey..it had to happen)
 "noe whr are them keyz at"
 His stance..yuck.
It's been gone for so long.  It's back..you see how he looks below.
There is SOMETHING going on in that foot........!
 We'll see what we find tomorrow...I soaked it today in Epsom salts for 20 minutes until Laz crapped right into his foot soaking bucket, foot still in it.
What?!
Yea. 
Sweet boy...bare with me as we figure this out for you.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Laz, you are so heart-meltingly CUTE! Love the big yawn pic, don't ya just love when you get a big release like that? It's like a horsey high-five!

    OK, abscesses. I have the BEST thing for those! Get an Animalintex poultice (they come conveniently in hoof-shaped thingies), soak it in hot water, put it on the hoof, then put a Thermacare pad on top of that. Cover with a diaper and/or duct tape, Vetrap, etc. Change once a day. It is the hands-down best abscess popper ever!! Animalintex on its own is awesome, but the addition of the heat from the Thermacare pad really pumps up the volume.

    Best of luck to you both!! I really, really hope it's just a nasty abscess. THAT we can totally handle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's most likely an abscess. Hope he feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abscesses can take a while to come out and all that time it makes you worry. Try not to worry - Cliff is coming and will help. I am thinking good thoughts for Laz and you. xoxoxo from of of us here. It will be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lazzzzz! He is so stinkin cute!! Try not to worry. I think it sounds like an abscess as well. I'm not sure if you follow the blog about Rose (one of Gatsby's babies- linked on my blog as Adventures in Filly Training). Rose was lame for a good while and it ended up being an abscess. Her vet used to work in KY with the racehorses and had a abscess remedy that he swore would pull it within 24 hours. And it did. You might could try that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor sweet LazzaRooo! (lolz). Here's hoping for an abcess...try not to worry. I know, impossible, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crossing my fingers that Laz improves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to use the Masterson Method tools, good to help him be more comfortable...nice yawn! If you can, post a video of him walking...from his stance in the photos, I suspect abcess, but not necessarily in the rear...but I could be wrong. Have Cliff check left front too. Possible there is more than one. But, also from photos, it does not look like founder to me.

    ReplyDelete