About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Update

Thankfully, nothing too dramatic to report.
Sorry, for my time in between posts, and thanks to you sweet readers who reached out via email and FB to ask.
Laz really feels the love!!!

Lazarus is still in his paddock, able to move around the same as before with Mini and Sawyer.  I can't see any difference in his moving, he's eating/drinking normal and other than still a little heat and I think a little elevated pulse in his hind, he is the same.
It's a guessing game as to why.
It is the weather, the rain creating for soft feet that makes his hind hurt a bit being his rear hooves have physiological differences? 
Is it stress from he and Sawyer not communicating 100% well?
Is it from rich grass?
It's so hard to tell, but I'm doing what I can to keep my horse happy. 
It sometimes feels like a slippery slope.
He is very sensitive and proves to be high maintenance but, I love him and we'll figure it out.

So, I've been out there the last 3 days in a row.
Soaking his feet.
Making a beet pulp, mixing in his Holistic anti-inflammatory meds, treating his bite marks.
No riding, no hand walking because no need to push him. 
Especially being the weather has been so wet, his little feetsies are so soft. I've been treating them with rain maker hoof dressing, and waiting for my Absorbine All Natural hoof dressing (thanks Sid for recommendation) to come.
I can't go on Saturday, but Sun/Mon is a go to make sure he continues to remain the same (or better hopefully!)
I've talked to Cliff, who has assured me he'll be just fine BUT if I need him he'll be out there in a flash (soooo nice to have that with a trimmer) and have emailed with Dr. Bowker from MSU who has basically given me the same advice as Cliff.  Not to mention, all the advice I get from my LOVELY and amazingly caring readers!!! (Frizzle...u rock my dear!)
The plan is to keep him off grass until it dries up and muzzle if needed when I reintroduce him again.

I'm thankful that Laz is able to remain comfortable and be a horse, out and moving, without having me drug him up, wrap him up, lock him up.
So, thank goodness for that! :)

5 comments:

  1. Glad the Laz man is doing well. I'm hoping that both he and Pie can go back out on grass once the fast spring growth slows down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO happy Laz is holding strong! The fact that he has no temp and is moving, eating/drinking normally are GREAT signs! I know it's nerve-wracking to have a sensitive animal who's not quite 100% healthy at the moment, but I'm sure you both will pull through this little blip with flying colors, as usual.:-)

    As far as the cause, I'm willing to bet it's the grass (although I'm sure stress doesn't help). Have you ever checked out www.safergrass.org? There's some great info there. One thing to remember is that the sugars in grasses are lowest in the morning and peak around 5:00 in the evening, so the best time for Laz to graze would be early morning to early afternoon. Also, stressed/overgrazed grass has higher sugar content, which I was surprised to find out.

    Aw, thanks for the shout-out; I do what I can!
    :-D Fingers and hooves crossed for Laz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minor freak-out here as I get caught up on reading...went back and read the last post...scared to death but all looks ok! So glad you discovered it and got Cliff on the case quickly. Sounds like you are taking care of him the best way possible. That is all you can do. Many prayers and love for the sweet boy from all of us here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes how did I miss that?! I am glad he's doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so far behind on reading blogs. I'm glad he's holding steady and doing okay. Please keep us updated.

    Oh and what I use for hardening up soft feet, as well as treating/preventing thrush, is to mix salt water in a spray bottle and spray it on the bottoms of the hooves (after cleaning obviously) every day. It works great. Chrome's hooves have not been soft once since I started doing that, even when it was flooding for weeks. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete