About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, May 20, 2011

Apparently someone thinks he's too sweet to be rained upon

Boo!
Sick of rain...
Then the rain stopped for a few precious minutes, so I was able to groom Laz outside, where he prefers
I got a couple of Mule imitation confirmation shots
Shot A-I think looks decent
I don't know how to build up his neck and not sure he can handle that yet with his back end still healing
 Shot B
Is this a different horse? 
He looks chunkerMcChunkerson here! (or does he???)
wtf. 
He is one of, if not THE most worked out horse consistently at the barn and now, the chubbiest??
That makes no sense....hmmmm maybe too much winter beet pulp smoothies?! 
He was only getting 3 cups 3x a week. Maybe that was too much. Or maybe he's weight is ok...but he does have a hay belly. How? We trot, trot, trot, and do pole work.  I've done a little hill work with him but he gets soooo chargy and wants to jump or run up the little hills that I don't want him doing (yet)
 But then, rewind to last Friday..McRibsandwich below.
So, what gives....grrrrr
Whatever, maybe he's weight is OK, and I'm over thinking it

This poor boy could never halter show. 
Between herd bites and him flying into the new lean-to pole, he's all a mess.
I've cleaned his wounds out twice and boy is he telling me "IT HURTS!!!"
I opted not to ride him because of it. I just couldn't.
He was so tail swishy, leg cocking (um..NO!!!) when I even cleaned.  It's in an area where I wouldn't have touched it riding, but it seems to be bruised around so why bother.
The BO and I took Laz and Ponyeeee for a mile road walk instead.
 And of course, it was sprinkling which turned into a straight rain
Laz was partially calm, but when Ponyee wanted to pass him he got PISSY and wanted to get jiggy with it.
Then the bugs were bothering him despite me spraying him down (plus the rain washed most of it off) and he started melting down. Then as the rain came down harder, he was OVER our walk (when we were half way through) and wanted to start to jig, arch his neck and pop up, almost like if I let him he would have blasted back home at the gallop.  So I had to do a couple of circle lunges to get his brain back in his head
Ponyee: "wasss a beeg deal dummie?"
Laz : "I'm meeeelting!!!!!!!!!!!!"


Maybe to help with all the biting bugs that bother him so much (and biting horses) I may be purchasing this!
Reviews look good for fit and durability!
I'm also going to be trying out a "Basic H" mix for fly spray from Shaklee....we'll see!
Laz is so skin/bug sensitive and the bugs seem to flock to him.  So far the only spray that works on him is super toxic "Mosquito Halt" but with warning signs all over the bottle, I just don't feel right dousing his body in it anymore than I do breathing it in.  I've tried other all natural brands but they just don't work on him!

And just for fun, a video from the other day of Laz free trotting/canter.
Look at his front feet reach!
sweetness
He's come such a long way!
Yes, he is still off in the back, but better than ever.

6 comments:

  1. The "pot belly" is probably just a result of his lack of top line muscle tone and core strength - and you're right there's not too much you can do to develop that and his neck until the hindquarters can work more effectively - it'll come in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..and can I assume I can't build a decent top line until he can carry himself 100% either? Which I'm fine with, I'll give him the time he needs but I don't want to loose out if there is something I can do for him now, to help with his muscling, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I think that's Salem's problem, too -- can't use his back/topline properly, so the belly is sagging. Any I can't get him to do the tummy tucks because his back hurts. :-( But if you can get Laz to do tummy tucks, that should help.
    That fly sheet looks quite nice! Schneider's makes very good, quality blankets/sheets, so I'm betting it will last. I'm looking into a Weatherbeeta fly sheet that has a detachable neck cover and built-in fly repellant.
    Laz looks like he's getting his swagger back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He looks good. He's definitely short in the rear, but he moves nice up front. I can't wait for him to be 100% so we can see his gorgeous movement. :) That pony is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love his fuzzy forelock! So cute. As far as the bug problem, I am a professional there! ;) I highly recommend Toad Mist fly spray - you'd probably have to order it because I think it's local to Florida but it's soooo worth it. All natural, oil based (so the staying power is great), smells good, and works better than any other product I've tried. There are links on my site if you look at the product reviews. Also the Mosquito Mesh flysheet is my favorite Schneiders product. My two cents!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a late two cents from a fellow OTTB owner :) Lunging with side reins on will assist correcting the neck and also building top line. However, untill he is sound dont stress about it..... let him heal and then start. I have had a mass of chiropractic and oral issues to deal with with my boy, so starting at the groung (literally - hooves) and working our way up has been the physical priority. Trail/bush work has been an absolute treat for getting his head straight, aswell as play dates with other more sensible horses :P !!
    As for the pot belly, technically to a point it is a good thing as his abdominal muscles are relaxed and not pulling on his back. If (once you get to saddling and more riding,even bareback) it seems to suck up when you tack up or get on, that shows he is not tight which is very desirable (my equine bowen therapist told me all about this). Enjoy the ride, its so great to be a part of!!

    ReplyDelete