About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Monday, May 3, 2010

Sunday workings

At my boarding farm, the BO's have a huge garden that was extended from last year.  Last year, we had so many fresh, delicious veggies, that I hardly went grocery shopping.  For a Vegan, it's a pure delight.
This year, we are making it double the size and will soon be planting.
The BO's already put in strawberry plants and look at these cuties! I think I've only had fresh picked strawberries once as a child....I'm so looking forward to the crop of delights!

We've had a lot of rain here in Michigan, so of course Laz takes full advantage of a mud spa
The BO and I worked on walking him in the front yard again and on the dirt road.  He did sooo much better than on Thursday.  He only had a couple of mild spooks and I shouted "Cut that off" yes, "Cut that off"...lol! It's what came out...so whatever.  The BO said it doesn't matter what, it's all in the tone and I think the tone was right, and for me to continue walking him and putting his mind back to work.  After being in the front for about 15 minutes, I walked him myself in the large arena and he did great.  No spooking at all and he really seems to enjoy his work.  
Cliff comes on Friday and I can't wait for that.  His bad hoof just seems wobbly to me.  Not in the connection, but in the way that when he walks...it looks like he bobbles like it's disconnected.  We'll see what Cliff says.



After working him, I took Laz in his paddock and worked on ground tying while I groomed.  
I had to capture his muscle tone in his shoulders.  I love a summer metallic coat and he looks pretty darn good lately!
His right side of his neck has this cool section that is a dark black brown, where his mane used to lay
Mason took the opportunity to roll in a mud puddle within four seconds of getting to the farm.  He is a water dog through and through
His little reward after our 'lesson'
Oh the rain is coming back-thankfully I timed it right (by chance) and didn't get poured on
I like how his mane looks roached here- I think it looks very masculine and noble
I left him with his dinner and he chose to eat the pile closet to his 'girlfriend', Jessie.
Who knew he liked a pretty blonde, with tousled hair and an alpha attitude  ;)

Regal Mason turns 7 years old today
Can't believe that he was once this brown little pig of a puppy-
Happy Birthday Mason!
  


Above is a video of BO "C" walking him, so you can see how he's moving.

6 comments:

  1. um, how adorable is mason's puppy picture?!
    I swear nature makes them THAT cute, so you don't murder them when they eat your shoes or pee on the carpet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, just wondering if you have tried a hoof hardener like venice turpintine. I know it won't help with his other issues but it helps horses while they are getting used to being barefoot. It toughens up the sole and makes it less soft to stone bruises and such. In the video he took a really ouchy step like he might have stepped on a rock, this would help that over time. It is not very expensive and easy to paint on so might be worth a try. Anyway, good luck. Your horse is happy to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea, he did take an ouchy step..it was a bit rockier. I dont know about the venice turpintine..I have heard that you can't put on any open live tissue areas so maybe that is why Cliff didn't recommend me to use it??? I'll ask him about a 'hardener' when he comes on Friday. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comment :) I'm looking forward to being able to work with horses all summer, & all I've heard is that the Island is beautiful! I won't be taking our drafts, as they are working with my fiance at an organic veggie farm & bakery in Vermont for the summer, where I'll be returning to in the fall.
    For your big guy, have you heard of Easyboots? They can be expensive, but are so worth it. They are easy to take on & off, & can help a horse in the transition to barefoot, while still providing support. http://www.easycareinc.com/
    Love your pictures, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looked like he didn't want to walk on the rocks...Olly hates walking on gravel, we always choose the side of the road in the grass. He sure didn't mind that puddle! Go Laz!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and one more thing...I ALWAYS sing to myself when riding in a competition. It keeps my nerves calm and my attitude even. Good job!

    ReplyDelete