About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Our first walk out!!

Do you see this lovely Bay boy, in the round pen!?
Yes, that's right...Lazarus and I had our first 10 minute walk today and he did great. I took off the Easy Boot Epics from his back feet and hand walked him around the round pen quietly. He was quiet today which I was VERY thankful for. I had images of him acting up and wanting to run but he was calm and curious and even remembered some of our ground work. I was soooo happy with him...and proud!
He seemed to really enjoy his outing. Initially when we first walked into the round pen, he blowed/snorted at it, but I think it's been 5 months since he's been in it?! I chose the round pen vs the large arena because the round pen was our comfort zone before he got sick. I thought starting there would provide comfort to us both. It did.
We walked in both directions and I could tell at the end of it, he was a bit tired.
But, lots of licking from him and a couple times he tried to nibble the grass (No!) and pawed at the ground wanting to roll.
FYI-Laz's laminitis was not brought on by IR (insulin resistance) but even so I have to be very careful about what he ingests and grass is not part of his program right now. His laminitis is thought to be a chemical founder, an adverse reaction to some medication or fever that he had from his colic or possible Potomac episode or ulcers that aggravated his GI. Still unknown so we keep his diet super super bland and simple until he gets more stabilized.

Calm boy
Here is a crappy video of his walking, no shoes, no boots for this.

After putting on the boots (not the easiest task) I decided to still wrap his legs before I left. We haven't opened up the paddock of his yet as I want to introduce changes slowly to him. So by tomorrow or Tuesday he'll have more room to walk in, and until then I wanted his legs wrapped in case they stocked up. No sign of that today when I was first out, thank god, but I'm taking a precaution. He is eating and drinking the same. The last couple of days he wasn't loving being groomed so I kept it light.
Overall, he is doing quite well to the change and I hope this barefoot way keeps him feeling good!
I am being realistic that it could take some time...and am in no rush to be jumping on his back, but obviously I'm just ecstatic to see any improvement.
Oh, and we got a text from our sweet Cliff asking how he was today! :)

13 comments:

  1. I bet he enjoyed the new scenery in the round pen. i am glad that Cliff is not keeping him cooped up. Seems like keeping him in such a confined area would be hard on Laz mentally. Can't wait to see the progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy day! I love the video...it reminds me of the feet of the Black Stallion (the movie) when the boy is leading him into the water. I am smiling thinking of Laz enjoying a new space and walking a little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! Glad you enjoyed a little time in the round pen with him and that Laz is doing so well!! He is such a handsome boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooooohoooo! I'm sure that Laz is thrilled to get out and about a bit. That will surely be good for his mind AND his body. :-D
    I'm glad to hear that he's adjusting so well and feeling good. Please keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy! Yeah!! I'm glad that he was able to get out and do something today. I'm sure he was too! He looked good on the video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good news! We're all pulling for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that you were able to get him out for a bit - I'll bet he felt good with that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! Doesn't it feel SO good to be hopeful! I'm glad Laz was a good boy for his walk, and I'm glad all has gone well with the transition to barefoot thus far! Kudos to you for being such a devoted owner and taking such good care of Laz. The world needs more horsie moms and dads like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lamanitis is such a scary confusing disease. So many possible reasons and no definite answers. Glad your boy in on the mend

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for you and Laz!!! It's so great to see some progress with his feet. It must be so scary to have to worry about all the little things with him, I can't even imagine. Anyway, I'm glad he's doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most very excellent! Yeah for both of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. how exciting!!! I am so glad to come back from my break and hear great news about you two :) You are an inspiration to all of us never to give up.

    ReplyDelete