About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The trail ride that wasn't

Can you even stand the sweetness? I can't and I see them multiple times a day.
Just sayin'...

Le Boeuf CAKE!
The week escaped me for rides (I still got pony time no worries) but by Friday, I was ANGRY from wanting to ride/ride/ride/ride and then, ride.
So, I did. 
Friday after work, Laz, Mason and I had a date.
It was a beautiful day and Laz was awesome.
We road out on the road
 With my best boy Mason by our side
 Laz seemed SO happy to be out doing his job of kerplunking around
 We played in the pasture a bit too, where he only bucked a couple of times from excitement


 Greeted by his lover. 
I do think a third horse would really help these two chill out with their love affair
Dare I say, maybe even a mare??
 Untacked and relaxing in the stall way breeze...ahhhh
Saturday, E and I had made plans to take Laz and Pito out on a trail.
Pito's Mom wasn't available, so I was to ride Pito and E on my Laz.

About 15 minutes before I pulled into the barn I got a scary phone call from the BO

"KRISTEN?!....The horses are loose!"
I about died. Loose?! Like LOOSE?!
So I said "WHAT!!!!!!!!??? WHERE ARE THEY?! ARE THEY OK??!"
She promptly responded "I think (!!) next door and I think (!!) they are ok"

I just assured her, that myself and E would get them and be there in minutes...after I clarified they got loose by charging her when she opened the gate to drive through vs running through a fence (insert thoughts of my horse is bleeding out)
I asked if I should call my vet and she thought they were fine, so I went with it.
Within maybe 20 minutes of their "BORN FREE" adventure, Laz stopped his fat rear and came walking up to the BO's husband, ready to go home and relax.
It was comical.
Thank the horse gods that the two boys were OK and nothing happened. I can't even think of all the possible death traps they somehow avoided, but they did.
Needles to say, they were wiped out and totally soaking wet with sweat. So E and I hosed them down, checked them out entirely from nose tip to tail. All was fine.
But now, we had no horses to ride....so E actually suggested we drive 30 minutes to her barn where she leases her wonderMare Stella, a 17 hh Thoroughbred and ride her.
OK!

E and Stella above
and below...awesome!
E is one of my favorite people to ride with. She's super sweet, calm and a great rider/teacher/friend.
I adore her. She makes me feel confident as a rider, so I decided to hop on Stella. She's not an easy horse to ride. She is VERY mouth sensitive and will bite the bit down and throw her head down and gallop around. But I just listened to E, who has been leasing her since Feb and we did OK.
We jumped even! It was SO fun. She leapt over this baby X rail probably not knowing why it was SO low...she did take off in a BIG ass canter and it took me a couple of minutes and circling to bring her down. Then I called it a day! I wanted to end it on a good note
She's so pretty but boy she doesn't photograph too well as seen below
You can see a little 45 second video below of our trotting:
 E dropped me off back at my barn after our fun Stella ride and I was able to check on the boys again. It had started sprinkling and you may be able to see the two princess under a tree below.
They were fine, tired, but fine.
Then Sunday I returned to make sure my baby was "for sure for sure" OK
And they were. 
So I hopped on bareback, seen on video below here:
 So thankful that it all ended up just fine and no ponies were hurt in the filming of 
"WE  runz FREEEE adventures"

9 comments:

  1. My mare got loose just on Fri. last week. Luckily she just moseyed thru the woods to visit neighbors geldings. She did not go home (neighbor caught her before I arrived) easy though. One geldings owner called my mare a "hussy" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad they're ok! How did they even get out?? Silly kids!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess when she was pulling into the pasture (one of their pastures also has their home driveway) they charged at her and snuck out!

      Delete
  3. Umm LAZARUS!!!! That is so fresh!!! What a bad boy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cuteness is overwhelming... I don't know how you handle it! Oh yeah - more details about the escape-ade please.

    Question for you Kristin - any possibility of getting an OTTB jacket in other than pink? I saw a black (or navy) version on another blog and I WANT IT. Pleeeease :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I actually don't make the jackets in pink --only in black or red :) I have purple long sleeve Tshirts, and various colors in short sleeve T's Click or copy this link to view all products. https://www.etsy.com/shop/kokoshell

      Delete
    2. Computer screens distorting colors... I look better in an orangey red, not a magenta-y one.
      The black must be fairly new - I was at your etsy page not too long ago. Placed my order this afternoon - thanks!!

      Delete