About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Happy September!

I have been the worst blogger this summer! Although I don't feel like I'm alone with that. The weather is nice, plans get made, work is busy, days are long with sunlight...who wants to be behind their computer longer than they have to? 
I surely don't. While it may seem I'm not around, I've been busier than in years! All good things, but busy busy busy. Any/all free time goes to Laz, not blogging, as of late.
So, let's start with his RH. It's been cast for the longest ever. He usually wears through them at around 2 weeks. This one, as of today, has been on for 4 weeks! Laz gets trimmed on 9/14 so we'll see, but look at that growth. These casts really help him stay comfortable, move out SO much more and grow heel! 
Tra la la la!!
That black ooze is the Vettec glue and we did a double cast of Equicast followed by my casting cheap yet UBER strong cast
RH below from this past June
I'm excited to see the growth, heel and toe once cast is off. I may want to recast for another round..we'll see. He is just so comfortable in it!
***
A couple of weeks ago, I helped move my Nephew into his Dorm at...wait for it...wait for it...University of Kentucky!!
He got a full ride scholarship, and needless to say, I'll be a BIG WILDCAT fan now.
(Me, my Brother...no he's not Amish ;) and my Nephew)
When you grow up in Chicago suburbs, you crave being different. Being different is the normal. Isn't that the ironic play?!
Horses, Basketball, Blue grass and Bourbon. Uh, yes please.
 Below is an example of why Lexington is so fantastic
A sparkly TB? SOLD! (well, it wasn't for sale, but if it were....)
 Goofing around in the UK Library which design wise, was astoundingly beautiful
The entire campus is just beautiful!
"Oh, excuse me while I catch up on my Fifty Shades of ...I mean, The Odyssey"
In the library, this was a mosaic styled painting
"Oh Hi, Willy T. Young"
 Bed made, dorm room set up. He was excited. I do NOT know how I did the dorm life for 2 years in College. I loved it too...but now, the thought...oh vomit. Not that my off campus living was much better, but at least I had a private room...
UK did a fantastic job for K week move in. Very organized and held fantastic events for the starting Freshmen. I was impressed.
***
The very next morning, I took a red eye Greyhound from KY to MI (my first and LAST Greyhound adventure!!!) and woke up early to meet the girls for our planned trail ride.
The barnowner, and E and I had looked forward to it.
E trailer-ed Stella over from her barn where she is leasing her, about 30 minutes away.
Stella is the Roan/Flea Bitten Grey and is about 17 hh
Laz was BESIDES himself with excitement when a new, strange, pegasus looking mare arrived.
He was Lycius Two Racehorse for a good 30 minutes, jigging and snorting and arching his neck.
He kept squealing and shaking his neck/head. Finally, once we hit the trail, he found his brain.

All of us English riders agree, trail fun is the best
Here you can see Stella's cool coloring in her rump, she's like PINK! 
She turns totally white/grey in the winter.
One tuckered out pony. Yea, it takes energy to pretend that a 12 yr old OTTB is a 2 yr old Racing Pony doesn't it Laz?!
Pito and Laz rolling after the ride, right next to where Stella was grazing over the fence. They were enamored with her
"STELLLLLA!!!!!"
"STELLLLLAAAAAAAAA! Oh Hiiiii, youz bee oot tiff fullls"
We hope to plan another ride all together in a couple of weeks again.
***
Today I had time just for ground, field, lunge work.
Laz's coat is totally changing. He's back to his blood bay coloring and it's rich and gorgeous.
This is just after I brushed him for about 2 minutes. He's gleaming!

Snort! Riding this weekend and will be trying out a new bridle/bit combo for fun!
I would like to have a bit comfortable for him, as a good back up for some of our faster trail rides
He's been quite strong in the bitless and abusing the pressure in it, (aka leaning his fat body into it) so we need to work off of that 

10 comments:

  1. He looks really good! Can't blame you for being busy and not spending time at the computer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks beautiful!! So glad his feeties are growing well and he's nice and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, he's so fat and glossy. What is he eating these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He eats 3 cups (2x a day) of Triple Crown Low starch mixed 50% with black oil sunflower seeds. And is turned out on grassy weedy pasture for 12 hours. 2 flakes of hay just started in the afternoon of 1st cutting grass hay.

      Delete
  4. Happy rides with a new girl friend. So much fun!

    Took a bus once...once was enough!

    Wish I had gone to University of Kentucky! Totally with you on the dorm thing - I only did that one year. The other three were spent in an apartment - could have done that forever, but the dorm - ugh!

    Take care of sweet Laz! He is just glistening! Beautiful! My boys are gorgeous too this time of year. May and September they look so good. The rest of the year they either look like furry mammoths or bleached out Roans. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so gorgeous!!! I've been a bad blogger too. It's so hard to blog in the summer, which is why I'm not catching up on my blog reading lol.

    ReplyDelete