About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Just a blip

So, I think I feel pretty good at analyzing that Laz was indeed reacting to his grazing time.
Sucks...I thought he was doing so well but it proved too much for him.
His hoof has been feeling less hot each day, than on Wednesday when I first noticed.
So hopefully...this is just a blip and we can start up again.  Cliff comes out this week for a trim, so I'll have more input on if I should stay off him, or start walking him via riding.
I think along with grazing, perhaps his feet were too wet with all the RAIN RAIN RAIN and in turn made for a more sensitive hoof?

He and Ponee dining together.
I cold hosed or soaked his hot foot each visit.
Fixed him beet pulp with his holistic meds
On Friday, Sunday and Monday I hand walked him because he was moving so normally.
The arena was being set up with the obstacle course from last year so I wanted to see how Laz would do, being he hadn't seen these items in months.
Puh...NO big deal.
In fact, he LOVES to lick the tops of these barrels! 
"Oh meee amorrrre, I've missed you!"

The sand was cool and he rolled, and rolled and rolled. Each day-about 4 times.
Good sign.  He was licking his lips and content.
He was camel lipping on Caitlyn's back, the BO's dog..he tries to on Mason but Mason RUNS!
"Must roll...must roll"
Mid dog shake after roll

"Wha??? Who's here? I smellz visitorz?!"
My husband's Mom and Grandma stopped by the farm to see Laz on their way to our house 
Laz was a gentle boy and allowed nose rubs and star rubs while standing as still as a statue.
"Yes, yes commonerz ...touch me...I is King"

Memorial Monday, the sweet boy got a bath to cool him off a bit.
He enjoys it and tried to dive into the grass during his bath. 
Sheesh.
I hand walked him to dry off and he's moving great.
Cool feet despite the HOT day. :)

Seems getting him off the grass may have proved to be right after all.
Hopefully I can ease him back into it, as things dry up a bit.


6 comments:

  1. *Whew* Yes, Laz is indeed looking like his normal chipper self. So happy he's doing well! Lol, love the pic of him getting up from his roll -- too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad he is doing well. Your Grandma is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear he's doing better. It's sad how sensitive to grass some of these horses can get.

    What is your thought behind soaking his foot? It sounded like you were complaining they've been too wet and soft due to the weather recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica-I know it seems odd. My thought was to get his 'hot' foot to be cooler to help minimize any interior swelling, movement, etc.
    What would you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it were my horse and I was concerned about his feet being too wet (and if you are anything like we were in Illinois then you guys have plenty of wet around) then I think I would only soak his foot more if you were concerned about an abscess or something.

    If you really want to try to cool down his hoof you could try cooling down the blood going into his hoof by covering up his foot and cold hosing his leg or doing an ice wrap around his pastern or something.

    I'm sure your farrier would know better than me though.

    Hopefully he gets better and you don't have to worry about it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture of your husband's mom and grandma. Adorable.

    Interesting comments. I was thinking the same thing about cooling the hoof down, but Jessica might be right about soaking it . . . I still think you should try the salt water. It's cheap, easy and can't hurt anything, so it's worth a shot. :)

    ReplyDelete