So this week was full of ups and one down.
Let's start with the positive:
1. I took Laz trail riding with my friend/trainer and her friend to Brighton State Park for our first time. So beautiful, trails with twisting paths, hilly sections and a little river we crossed. Lazarus did GREAT! He really enjoyed himself and we had a beautiful and relaxing trail for over 3 hrs!
2. He trailered nicely..which being an ex race horse, he is quite accustomed to a trailer, but you never know.
3. He played in the water at the river...actually quite aggressively pawed at it as if he were trying to empty all the water out of the river bed. I am not 100% sure if I like it or not...it was funny for a moment, but then also I felt him, feeling a little stallion-like and maybe nervous? He is the type of horse that drinks quietly but prior to his sips of water, he splooshes his head all around the water tank. BUT... crossed it, played in it and kept walking on.
4. He tied next to the trailer nicely when tacking up and un tacking.
5. He allowed me to mount up off a tree stump which he blew at and stood still.
1. Laz kicked me. HARD. Like a side blast from hell. It happened when we first arrived at the park prior to our 3 hr ride. I went to unload him from the trailer once we took my friend's horse out and he was being impatient (after being patient for a very long time I might add). We think maybe I spooked him, maybe he didn't know I was where I was...maybe he did and wanted to tell me he was pissed at that moment. He got me, I have a purple-red bruise on the back of my thigh the exact shape of his hoof. In fact, I can almost make out his frog imprint on my leg. Ugh. I called him a Bastard and moved on (and thanked god it was just my thigh and not something else). I will now be a little more careful, knowing he can and will kick and being that I was actually up by his shoulder; that his back leg can reach mighty far and with some major force.