About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Monday, September 28, 2009

A little schooling session in Sept 09

This is just a bunch of photos (I dragged my sweet Husband, Billy, out with me to snap some photos of Laz and I working) for me to review and for anyone to enjoy! Laz and I are by no means in any show form, our relationship is to enjoy our lessons and to better ourselves for pleasure riding! :)

He's come a looong way, to stand quietly as I mount. The old racing habit of jigging and trotting off with one foot in stirrup took a little while to break, but now he is 95% better.

Working on trotting, and trying to always get his head down, neck bent and to allow his body to round. This is a huge improvement from his giraffe necking he does when anxious!

Pictures are so helpful, after reviewing these, I lowered my stirrups down a notch and feel much better/secure/comfortable.

Working, or begging for an extended trot. I know my form is too forward so please forgive that. For having long TB legs, Lazarus is actually quite short strided.
Heading over to large arena after round pen workout. I find using/starting in the round pen gets him to focus, gets out any crazy willies before heading into large arena. It helps with his attention and focus when I don't lunge him and when he's quite full of himself.

Love this shot! His head/neck looks good and he's relaxed. Lots of half halting during our trotting sessions. I do give him breaks with walking and allowing him to fully stretch his neck and relax his muscles too.


Working on some light cantering. Even though I canter him in both directions for his body conformation, he is so far much more comfortable in this direction...probably due to his correct vs incorrect leads, and due to racing in this direction for so many years, his muscles are better developed, I would imagine. We are working on getting correct leads going clockwise and building up that side.


Just some mental work: weaving in and out of cones, between poles, etc.








Lots and lots of trotting, probably what we do 99% of the time in all our school work. Around the arena, around the property (a little bit), thru the cones, around the poles, etc.
What do you and your horse do mostly? Drills, suggestions, etc?


Thanks to the photographer, Billy, for supporting my passion with a sense of humor!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment