About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Monday, October 7, 2013

One of my favorite days ever

At the end of September, my younger sister Tina and her Husband Chris came to visit from South Africa. We haven't seen these two since their wedding last summer in South Africa so we were SO excited.  We only had them for 3 days as they had a million people to visit, but we made the most of it and had a total blast. We love love love our time with them.
On 9/26 it was Billy's 39th bday and a beautiful sunny, warm Fall day. After breakfast, we decided to go visit Laz and enjoy the outside
Laz was especially goofy that day. A total ham sandwich!
Chris had never ridden, or maybe had once/twice but was a bit intimidated at first. Laz quickly wiggled his way into his heart. All of us are tremendous animal lovers so he quickly sensed it.
It was funny how happy he was, releasing and relaxing from his grooming session and us doting on him

Goofy boy! Chris thought it was interesting to see how animated Laz was

My baby hugging my baby...aww
Tina is behind the camera, and boy does Laz LOVE to ham it up for her!
"Oh who mez? Imma prettie boy!?"

We got him ready and wanted to ride/walk the trails.
I was nervous on how Laz would do being I've never done this with him (taken him out on the trails without another horse)
Photo shoots along the walk to the trail..
Bday boy!
The two brother in laws...they love each other. 
How awesome and important is that to two very close sisters....a must!
Laz gave me a couple of "Uhhh letzz go back" moments but I stuck with it and he obliged
At the trail head, he didn't want to lead into it..so I asked one of gang to walk in front
He happily plodded along. 
It was quick to notice that he adopted us as people as his herd for the ride
 He was going along really well
 I wanted to ride him to make sure he was comfortable. I figured if he totally panicked, I would just dismount and hand walk him.
 But he had a great time and kept level headed about it all
Lots of sighing and breathing, licking/chewing
After about 30 minutes, I asked if Tina wanted to ride him
She did and I was hand walk beside
He did great for her. He really loves her.
Then I asked Chris if he wanted to ride. Laz was being awesome and super chill so I knew he'd be fine. Chris is an avid, talented surfer, biker, all around athlete so I knew he would enjoy it.
Plus he has mad respect for animals, which is key when placing on top of a sensitive being.
We walked together. We talked about how to ride and what to expect.
What I ask of from Laz, etc and I just stayed along side for both of them
We took breaks to reward Laz
And covered about 5+ miles
It was awesome; everyone enjoyed it
My angel face did so so well, I was beaming with pride.

Once we exited the trails, Chris had ridden for over an hour and was ready to dismount.
Thank god for strong 6'4" Husbands to give a leg up on to your 16.2 h horse
Sweet Laz was a TROOPER about e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g.
Walking back home
We stopped at the sweetest apple tree

All of us were thirsty and were jonesing for apples
Especially this guy 
 slurrrrpss
My perfect heart horse
Billy kept commenting on how awesome of a horse he was that day (I mean everyday, but especially that day)
Heading back up to the barn
The colors
Untacked...it was a great way to enjoy a perfect MI Fall day
These two really bonded...it was awesome.
After we cleaned up Laz, we left for the Cider Mill

Fresh cold cider and hot fresh doughnuts

***
The next day, we wanted to show Chris the positive side to Detroit.
It's barely shown or talked about, and yes we have rough issues we are working on, but it's a city that is going to come back
Lafayette=famous coney island hot dogs.
Do you know how crazy delicious these are? They will kill you, but it's worth it.
This is the must; Vernors ginger ale (Detroit made--not diet, it helps aid in your soon to be hurting stomach). Fries; plain or chili cheese, and the star of the show; The coney. Hot dog, chili, mustard and yes, HEAVY onion. Boom.
They loved it.
Next door is an urban garden. It is a piece of city heaven.
We hit some of the city monuments, like the spirit of Detroit...
The fist
The GM Renasissance center in the back ground, riverside
The Guardian Building
Inside...just stunning
I was loving it and goofing around...
Enjoying the river front view, looking over at Windsor (our cousin came to join us)
Later that night, we went to the HS where Billy teaches at and he's an assisant coach as well, for the Varsity football team.
Chris had never been to an American football game
The student section, it was packed. There were over 1800 people at the game
It was a fantastic visit!

12 comments:

  1. It is so wonderful to be able to share your favourite pony with loved ones, and a bonus that everyone had a great time, including Laz. He is so special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely loved this post! And stunning photos as well :) Always love seeing what you've been up to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me smile, and smile, and smile. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect post, pony, day!!!! Great animal lovers always equals good pony energy! Laz is just the best smiling horse ever!!!! He is so funny - ham sandwich as you say!!! Such a fabulous ride and all the photos to have forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All very cool! I love Franklin and CONEY!! Sweet Laz fun!!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh yeah, the pictures were all amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always so much fun to share our ponies with our friends and family. Great pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A perfect fall day with the perfect horse. Love the photos in the woods, oh, and of course the slurpy pony lips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like an awesome visit! It's nice that you could share both your horse and your city with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aww! Glad you had such a super visit. What a great boy Laz was!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun visit!! I LOVE all the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete