About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Monday, July 1, 2013

June Hoof review

I haven't blogged about Laz's hooves in so long!
Things were/are going well although a minor hiccup currently. I'll explain in a moment
Below is from trim mid May, of RH hoof
 Slowly bringing hoof toe back. Talks of casting at next trim
 The FOREVER soaking/treating of the terrible terrible white line
 This angle shows you how crushed and under run his heels are
It's been a steady year with this trimmer and I do think we are getting him set up for proper balance in the (hopefully) near future

***
Below is 5 weeks later, this past Thursday
(below is hoof shot from exactly 1 year ago)
 and back to as of late
 The medial hoof wall does.not.touch the ground due to terrible white line destruction of hoof wall.
This is why we chatted about casting him again (he took so well to it last summer)
 Updated sole shot--sorry not the cleanest
 I did clean/treat his RH and decided to cast him myself with my trimmers approval
 I used orthotape and I'm not convinced it's the same flexing power as the Equi
Either I used too much material, or it is different, but there was NO flex
 And I wrapped it too high on his coronary band for my liking.
I was able to carefully trim some but not enough

 This was a promising sign..the almighty rested leg
 I was feeling very proud!
Was. I watched him walk away after about 10 minutes and he was hobbling. 
What I forgot to mention, is prior to casting him (done on Friday, a day after his trim) he was hobbling too. I hoped the cast would give him the support he needed.
Maybe if done correctly and used the proper material it would have.
I left it and returned on Sunday am and promptly removed it. He was not better and I thought, better to be sore and bare and KNOW it's not my cast constricting his hoof.
So, I'm hoping my trimmer can come this week to recast him. I'll keep my orthotape for casting his fronts possibly in the future if need be..
Watching Laz feel sore again and not moving freely super super SUCKS.
He is cautiously short striding his RH and not wanting to allow the proper break over. I don't know if it's too much weight/change/angle change (although we've been slow and cautious) but I'm hoping he pulls out of it in the next couple of days. He is starting to feel and look sore, and muscles on RH flank area feel so so tight. I'm going out tonight to check on him, maybe give him banamine (I gave him some yesterday am for muscle relief) and give him a much needed massage.
I'm hoping this is a 3 steps back, before some great steps forward.


12 comments:

  1. I forget if you did yet or not, but have you tried the Zephyr's Garden sprays yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for years. Literally. Wished it worked b/c her other products are so super great.

      Delete
    2. Such a bummer, I've seen it do so many good things otherwise! I guess if you have an injection that is cleaned out but laminae that are still compromised, there's not a lot that can be treated externally :/

      Delete
  2. Oh no! I hope he feels better soon--watching them hobble around in pain is the worst. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe no--bummer! Hope things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope things start to get better for you two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Laz! I hope it's a minor, short lived setback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, Kristin. I thought you and M had him over the hump. What happened to cause this setback?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, I think the combination of open white line still growing out ( you remember how SLOW that hoof grows--still the same) and with Spring Grass despite trying to control grazing time, etc. He's pretty sound again now..Spring is tricky for him.

      Delete
  7. Awww, Kristin. I thought you and M had him over the hump. What happened to cause this setback?

    ReplyDelete