About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Mongolian Yak

Last week pulling into the barn, Mason and I were greeting by a flock/herd/pack/school of wild turkeys. 
They are UGLY birds. 
I'm not a fan of loose, free big birds (perhaps it was from getting my rear whooped by a swan when I was six yrs old-no joke).
Laz and Justin were totally curious as to WHAT are these things?!
More like a road runner...
Mason jumped out of the car and chased them away, cue the horses to RUUUUN!!!! Safe your self!
There has been some changes at the barn.  Currently there is now only Laz and Justin (WB x), as the BO's decided to send their OTTB to their trainers for her program to use (or to see how he does).  They like the small, quietness of only two boarders and I can't blame them.  My concern was I noticed immediately after their horse leaving, how Justin and Laz have become like GLUE.  Here is Laz below SCREAMING for his Painted lover as he was getting groomed out of his eyesight.
Pathetic.
It's been a little over a couple of weeks (I think?) and they seem to be adjusting well and panicking less when apart.  It's odd, but if I take Laz away from Justin, he's fine and Justin calls to him. If Justin is taken away from Laz, Laz freaks and screams for him.  
The other day, as I was grooming Laz, Justin approached and Laz nickered the sweetest little "HAROooo lovie BOO " to himI hope they calm the gelding love "I can't be without you for a minute" affair a bit.  
***
Friday, we rode. I had a long week and a nice little ride was want I needed.
PLUS, it was 70 degrees out!
Look at my silken Yak below...
Why don't I clip him? 
Um, because I don't have clippers that are strong enough to endure the thick fluff...I SUCK at clipping, and it's supposed to get back down to 40 degrees soon.
I had decided to ride within their pasture with Justin loose.
How cute.
Except they started playing, and Justin bite Laz's bridle and Laz semi reared up.
DUMB idea on my part. Laz let out two high pitched squeals, almost like "I CAN'T handle dis!!!" So I hopped off, put Justin in the 2nd pasture and we continued for a nice calm ride.
He was SO sweaty after about 30 minutes of walk, trot and a couple of canters that I opted to stop. I yanked off his saddle and cooled him off via walking with him for a mile. 
Walking by, a neighbor's truck shovel thingy scared the bejuses out of Laz so we approached it, he snorted, then sniffed, then licked and we went on our merry way.
Lovely boy admiring his digs
***
Saturday; first bath of the year! 
My friend who had never ridden or been around horses came to help us!
What a fun way to celebrate St. Patty's!
Laz enjoyed the cool water and dropped a lot of fur

***
Sunday; HOT, almost 80 out.
Again, saddled up for a ride and worked on bending, circles, trotting and getting Laz to carry himself instead of leaning/balancing on my hands which he's been opting to do. It's an odd balance of pushing him forward fast enough to get a good motor going and balance his own weight vs. falling down into my hands or falling into a downhill canter.
I was asking a lot from him mentally as well as real body work, so we kept it short again, about 35 of work (not including 10 walk warm up and the HOUR cool down)

Side note; There are white hairs on his back (I've only ridden him in this saddle about 5 times) and two bumps on his spine area (one old, one new) so I'm anxious for Chiro's input next time he's out. I'm not sure if it's caused by this saddle, or from when I was riding bareback..I had noticed the white hairs (about where my butt sitts) along his back this winter.  
Joy!!! 



Sweat much?!

Here was my attempt in a conformation shot after we had cooled down
Nice, huh?!
Oh well, at least he's looking a  bit more fit

4 comments:

  1. Swans are mean turds. My fiance's allergist has a pond behind his office. It's beautiful in the summer. ... But there's this swan. I don't know if it's male or female, but I do know it's missing half a wing.

    But that stump is a deadly weapon! He beat the crap out of my legs on a couple of occasions.

    Laz is looking awesome. :3 And if I was closer, I'd totally come and clip at least some of that fuzz off of him for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evil swans!!! I gotta attacked by a family when I was a kid too!!

    Don't clip that wooly coat! It's shedding season and you'll interfere with his summer coat underneath... Just get your shedding blade out and go nuts! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, this heat. In a month it would be glorious, right now it's just too much. My mare is coated in salt from sweating so much :(

    I've found that a herd really needs 3 or more horses to be balanced. You can't have just two or they do get WAY too attached.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys are woolly too. Laz and company are too cute.

    The buddy lover boys will eventually get secure - it takes time and just as you get it right, another horse will join them and you get to start all over again!

    ReplyDelete