About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Winter Workouts part 1

Despite not riding (I'll get to that in a minute) Laz and I have been VERY busy.
I don't know how, but I've been making it to the barn 6-7 days a week.
It's GLORIOUS!
Some days, when I'm on the road for work, my day ends with an appointment just 15 minutes away from the barn, so off I go!
Sunset pulling into barn, just peaceful
The deer that hide along the far end of the pasture.
I have been enjoying this mild winter SO much!
Sunny and blue skies in January? WHAT?
Yes, please!
Who needs an indoor??? Not us
Unfortunately, Laz has a bit or a cut on his back. It's not a bad cut by any means, but it IS directly where one's bottom would sit when riding. 
So...being he was showing me he was tender around it, I figured it was also bruised a bit.
Ok, no problem. 
Ground work only for a good few days as it heals
My Pops giving Laz (who is too busy stuffing his face to pose) some love
One this day, it was so warm out, I didn't worry that naked Laz was getting rained on. It was almost 40 degrees with no wind. 
 Shiny boy all dressed for winter with no winter weather...yet.
 Another day, we did some of our Parelli games and 'touch it's'
Laz LOVES touch it.
"I touch dis"
"I touch dat"
"Halo?!! Anyones???"
Good boys get to munch on grass nibs after our mental work

***
On this day, the weather was low 30's, high 20's with little wind.
Laz still sans blanket and TOASTY warm
We worked on some games with him loose, or at Liberty
 We had some nice moments of him listening and relaxed...
But more moments of him ambling around and ignoring me, lol!
It's ok. It's honest and tells me we have a long way to go and we are not at that level.
I think it's fun to let go of expectations and see what your horse knows and doesn't.
"I donseee u"
 But a good boy comes back, AND we are working on our very own "War Horse" whistle
Move over Joey.....
Laz's coat has really turned into something great.
Thick, shiny with great oils
It almost seems waterproof at times
 Eating his BP mix and remaining naked
When I worry he'll be chilled, I stuff the hay bag which carries him over to dinner time.
No shortage of food here
 And Mason has been enjoying hitting the barn more often...zzzzzzz


6 comments:

  1. Looks like they are all great and happy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laz is too cute! And he is looking fuzzy! I am sure he is staying warm. Whenever I think Shy might be cold, I feel her skin (not the outside hairs) and it is always warm, so I think she is fine in this weather.

    What is the touch it? How is it done? I could really use some mental games for Shy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laz has great coat! I think it's great your keeping him natural.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That picture of the snow flake on his coat is really cool!

    The weather this year sure has been strange huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have definitely enjoyed this mild winter. :D I just hope there isn't a bad winter weather surprise waiting around the corner lol. Looks like Laz is happy. I'm glad he's doing so well in his wonderful winter coat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have come so far with your boy by letting him fluff up and not worry! You are finding that balance of nature for him and sleep for you. I need to find that too. You are lucky to have the concrete up at the barn, but as you told me, Laz sometimes chooses the mud to stand in.

    I hope his cut heals quickly. Pie and Sovey and Foggy get those long gashes and I can't figure out where they come from. Same location as Laz's. I guess boys play hard.

    Mason is so cute snoozing.

    ReplyDelete