About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, November 18, 2011

Xray follow up

Well, it's official.
I'm a HOOF nerd.
It's Friday evening, and all I can think about are Laz's tootsies.
And I love it!

Ok, to the good stuff.
I met with my Vet this morning to review his Xrays.
It was all very good news in the fact that she is confident that I'm on the right path and I can get him to soundness (or more sound).

Cue the confetti and brass musicians!!!!

I can't tell you HOW nervous I always get when reviewing xrays but it's getting better each time.
She even loaned out the xrays to me so I can review with my Trimmer which is SO great. 
Vet did NOT see infection although she said she wouldn't be surprised to see abscessing happening in his future due to his thin sole/bruising.  
Just in general, a bit of an unhappy, transitioning foot. Not a miserable foot...just unhappy right now....but it's hopefully temporary as it grows.
Our goal is to BUILD up that sole.
It looks thicker from the side view...

 In below xray, you can see he still is rotated slightly bi-laterally..to be expected.
However, here you can also see (although hard b/c this is me holding the xrays up to my bathroom window..so image is grainy due to window texture) how thin the sole is.
She said like a smidge thicker than paper thin.
THIN.
 We need to build it up.
So, HOW?...
I was relived that she didn't push "STALL 24/7" treatment because I just won't do that to him.
She said, pick/clean daily. Put combo of 1:1 ratio of 7-10% iodine mixed with alcohol on sole/hooves to dry out and keep moisture out.
It's a bit of a challenge now with rain/mud season but his pastures are pretty dry actually.
With snow coming, she felt it's actually a drier wet and shouldn't be a problem.
She'd rather him be barefoot than in a boot or even a homemade plastic diaper filled with "No Trush" with duct tape boot. She feels the sweat within an encased boot/bootie will be more moist than just free. Well, that is WAY easier on me!! AND, I won't have to worry about heel bulb rubbings, thrush, etc.
She likes Laz's diet and wants me to add MSM to his beetpulp, and Isoxophrine  for vessel opening to encourage circulation and aid in healing. For the Isoxophrine, I'm leaning more towards using the herb Jiaogulan for Laz.  
Vet feels Laz is in NO daily pain other than 'feeling' his hoof's bruise, but didn't feel he needed any Bute/Equioxx, etc. HOOORAH!!! 
She does want me to bump his grain (Triple Crown L/S) a bit for  more rib coverage. For those that think Laz looks chunky, it's JUST a fiber belly! ;)
Vet wants me to remain massaging him (Go Masterson!!) to help circulation and she saw how Laz LOVES it (I did a quick demo). She also wants me to add Chiro to help with his overall body stiffness.
And...give Laz TIME. Time to grow that sole.  She said to constantly check the hoof, and if it seems thicker in a matter of a few month, to do another xray.  Basically, reconnect to check and see how things are going and maintain.

I just want to say, this new Vet for us, so far has been GREAT. Open to my comfort level to how I chose to keep my horse (barefoot and out) and open to discussing things with my trusted Trimmer, and very compassionate of how Laz and I are as a team.  So far, it was a great switch.
She also checked his teeth and thought he in fact did not need a floating and she'll check him in Spring-so I am postponing that for now.  She also gave me free Flax seed from a client that gave it to her. Score!

Ok, now for some comparisons of how Laz rotated.
His rotation wasn't typical ..his were LATERALLY (to the side, medially (meaning inward towards each other, in his hind legs only) with also a downward tip rotation.
Right Hind (RH) being the worse and what is on all xrays here.

Below-the far left TWO are from FEB 2010


 Below are from JUNE 2011-Front view
Note how he's more balanced side to side
Below, our latest NOV 2011
Great balance..although now we are dealing with MEGA thin soft sole

My theory...UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNTRAINED..keep in mind.
I think when we switched to barefoot, it was our #1 step in healing. No doubt.
Laz had built a lot of false sole, possible overlaid bars to 'protect' his sole/hoof/from penetration. His body's way of protecting it. However, left on too long it also became a hindering pressure. Like walking on a stone, constantly. So in removing it (starting this past June) and alleviating some pressure, that underneath material was soft and like a baby thin nail. Hopefully by allowing him to heal, altering his diet and putting him on some natural remedies and giving him TIME, his sole/hoof will grow.

Thoughts? Questions? Confused? 

I'm popping open some Champagne tonight and celebrating this tiny step forward!
Any NON bad news, is GOOD news to me!

Go Team Laz! (which happens to be an all female team except for Laz, lol!)

10 comments:

  1. Yeah for good news!! So happy for you and Laz (and Mason and the gang). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how happy I was to see those X-rays! Lazaroo is gonna be just fine. :-) Thank goodness he has such a dedicated mom!
    Rotation is SO much lessened--major improvement and major props to Michelle. She should be very proud of herself and her awesome trim. Oh, and yeah, another total hoof nerd over here. Should we form a club? Friday Night Hoof Nerds?
    And, rofl, I like that--"fiber belly." Um, I, too, have a fiber belly. And fiber hips...and fiber thighs. ;-D
    GO, TEAM LAZ!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very good news indeed, and the x-rays show it. Now just time and continued good care will work even more improvements . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fantastic!!!!! I'm so happy for you and Team Laz (I'm sure he has no problem with it being all girls lol). Keep up your awesome, awesome work and he will be better in no time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray Lazaroo! I so suck at reading xrays but even I could see the improvement. FYI, Chamie was on Isoxuprine when I had her (waaaay back when (for early navicular, it was thought) and it worked wonders. I've often thought about asking Miles vet about it, since it increases blood flow to the hoof and Miles also has his share of sole ouchy-ness. I'll be very interested to see how Laz responds to it. And hell yes, celebrate! Congrats on making such great strides with your boy. You two are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! That is great news!
    Go celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Glad to hear he's on the right track! It's definitely not a bad thing to be a hoof nerd :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, you guys are doing awesome! Laz sure is lucky to have a super mom like you!! I know so many people who would have not gone so far to heal him from this! You also do a great job explaining it all to us and showing us all of it on your amazing blog! Keep up the great job and give Laz and extra kiss and carrot for us!!! XOXOOXX!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friday Night Hoof Nerds!! I love it!!
    You should talk to JenJ, she is battling the same thin sole issues as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome!!!!!!!!! It is so neat to see the xray review, he is really settling on out! (I have been reading this blog forever, but this may be the first time I have commented on it??)

    ReplyDelete