About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, October 7, 2011

Hoof update

Every month I document with photos, Laz's hooves.
All of them
The one of major concern is his Right Rear/Hind. 
That is the one that took the most damage when he got laminitis (from Potomac most assuming)
He rotated bi laterally (meaning his coffin bone tipped forward but also inward/medially severely)

So, 2 years later; we are still rehabbing but I think we've made some really great strides in the last few months.
It's all patience and setting up diet, trim, lifestyle correctly and hoping it all pulls together.
I know many of you reading are as hoof obsessed as I am; so ENJOY ;)

Here are some comparison photos from miscellaneous months of 2010










***
And now, here is from today.
We switched trimmers in June/July and have maintained on a positive track
(thank goodness!!) and are still learning SO SO much.
Learning never stops...if you met someone who knows it all; RUN.

 Hoof growing out shows healthy changes
We are still dealing with a flare/crack/bruising from where Laz may be tipping his weight toward


 Some major positive changes in that big juicy frog!
Hoof wall is still challenging as it grows too thick and slowly
The sole, as it's being repaired and slowly trimmed out, along with buried bars shows some active bruising and soft spots that are seeming to harden a bit.
They are sensitive; if I push on it with thumb, Laz reacts.
I boot him with pads when we road ride and keep him bare on soft grass
For now; its about protection.
I've revised our riding and I'm opting to only walk currently. 
No sense on pounding on a bruise

I love this picture because it's such a cool shot of angle
Not so much because of FrankenFoot but it perfectly depicts how it looks.
Weekly cleaning of White Lightening, No Thrush and soaking keeps it clean.
We are getting there....

9 comments:

  1. You've been so patient with his progress...and his frog does look kick-ass! :) Hard to believe it's been two years. The best thing is you two continue to make progress and work together. Can't wait to see where you are with sweet Laz a year from now! Our boys are resilient:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really getting there - great to see the series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big improvement and that last photo is totally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. - I meant the angle, the sky, adorable Laz - I know the foot isn't perfect yet, but it will be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sole is starting to look darn good! Once the wall grows down I think you'll be pretty happy with that foot. My hat is off to Michelle for a nice trim and to you for doing the maintenance- that's a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great documentation!

    Stop by my blog to get your award, from one Michigan horse blogger to another :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whoa, Michelle has brought that heel back to where it should be SO quickly! And the hoof is looking so much better now that she's taking out all that retained bar/sole. Huge improvement! I see some bruising, but hopefully that will clear up soon. I'm sure that will make Laz much more comfortable.

    (And didn't I tell you that White Lightning is awesome?! :-P Seriously, whoever invented that stuff needs to win some kind of award because it is a.m.a.z.i.n.g.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Impressive. It's starting to look like a more normal hoof. I bet by this time next year you won't even be able to tell it was ever different. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete