About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Updates

Oh, sweet Lazarooooo
What a face he has :)

 Some good news; We got our IR test results back and according to both the endocrinologist at MSU, my Vet and the IR calculator created by Dr. Kellon; it shows he is not IR.
Great news, I don't have his numbers (they are coming in the mail) but I will double check and firm up that is true.
If he had shown up as IR, that would mean his metabolic system had dramatically changed since he foundered.
I am also hoping to move Laz to a new boarding facility (I need him closer to me I have decided) and that opens up options for barns and set ups.  Dry lot paddocks versus free roaming.  More on that to come...

Hives
They are still coming and going but mostly coming.
Frustrating.
The vinegar/water helps with immediate relief but something is causing him to welt up.
The welts change and new ones pop up and old ones disappear so I still think??? it's bug related.


Feet
Laz is walking so much more soundly 
and we do light rides and sometimes I chose to hand walk him if I think it's too hot or he's a bit more ouchy
We road walk for a mile to get our exercise
 Laz likes to grab vines, tree leaves along our walk and stir up ALL the insects that were quietly sleeping

 Here is a quick shot from yesterday; of his club foot (Right Front)
You can see the white line is starting to come back together with the beveling that is being done and it shows old blood where the wall was pulling apart from the sole and laminae
Old shot below of same hoof for comparison, just from early June;
I did another White Lighting soak on his RR, to keep cleaning out that seedy toe.
He has a black hole that showed up on the xray that I still treat. 
That RR hoof wall does NOT grow, I swear...all other 3 hooves grow like normal, but this RR still has some immense false sole, so we are taking it slow, trimming, and hoping for more sole to naturally come off as we trim some out.  
Frankenstein foot  showing laminitic lines:( 
But hopefully, with our newer trimming changes, he will start to grow out a better hoof like all his other three have.
Laz is still gimpy on it and there is still some bruising showing up under the sole.
There a few thoughts as to why this hoof is still under stress and it may be the excess of false sole didn't allow for proper growth, which was caused from shoes/wedges to begin with. But...time will tell.

Here's a  recent video after his last trim where we really took a closer look at this front and how he was using them, and really beveled (if that is the right term) at  his toes and he is moving better (even though slight)
The theory is to engage the sole, AND the frog and keep the hoof wall in the front off the ground for a better breakover
Slowly but surely :)

I leave for 2 weeks for vacation, so Laz will be on 100% rest (remaining on 24/7 turnout) and hopefully will enjoy his time off  while just munching his hay and chilling in his dirt lot.
We'll get right back to our routine when I return :)


No comments:

Post a Comment