About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Monday, February 21, 2011

How is snowboarding like riding?

It's not.
Not that I could find. 
I tried to find a similar balance and mind set so I could actually not kill myself....but I couldn't.
See, a while ago, I promised to take my Nephew snowboarding the next time he came to visit, with his best friend.  That was this weekend.
We took a lesson all together, the teens rocked it....and I sucked it.
It was FUN no doubt, but hard and awkward.  I was thankful to have a helmet and would have enjoyed to have been bubble wrapped as well.

My Nephew and I hamming it up after our snowboarding lesson...
only he was kidding and anxious to hit the slopes...and I was seriously nervous! ;)
Posing for the camera because I was mostly on my ass for the day
I fell more than I think I boarded.
I was told that's normal.
Huh?
What sport is learned from falling???? 
Snowboarding apparently.
Sheesh..it's a tough but FUN sport!
I would do it again........after I heal my bruises and work on my ego
 Of course my 15 yr old Nephew and his friend rocked it like 'sooooo easy'

Day #2-I took him and his best friend to play with the ponies.
They wanted to!! Hoooorah!!!
Laz was awesome, calm and tolerated a lot.  
The boys cleaned him, led him around and lunged him
Do you see how funny Laz is playing with his lead rope below....silly gelding
 Both the skateboarding teens here (my Nephew on the right) thought the Mini was too cool.  Probably due to the fact that skate boarding celeb, Rob Dyrdek, had a Mini.
After the boys worked hard to groom him, Little Chief promptly rolled in the dirt
 The boys learning about horse keeping and care. It's not all about riding....as they thought ;) 
To be a good horse owner, you have to get dirty and WANT to care for your horse. 
They had fun!
 and huh? Snow started falling....but I thought Spring was coming....?
 By the time we got home, we had almost 6 inches already.  We ended up with a foot of new snow
Ok...winter is not over yet.

A mini video of lunging the smartest mini

7 comments:

  1. Always fun to try something new, even if there IS a lot of falling, LOL!

    A few more practices, and you'll be ready to go horseboarding with us! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen - I totally love that you snowboarded with your nephew and friend and then took them to the barn to be with Laz and mini. What a great aunt you are!

    I haven't snowboarded but I think it would irk me to have my feet connected. I love skiing but I don't know about that - surfing, skateboarding...all weird with the feet connected I think.

    Laz is so dear holding the lead and the mini - well what is there to say but adorable!

    We got the snow too. Ugh. I am ready for spring but oh, the mud is icky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you must have gone out late Sunday?? I went earlier and got 3 hours in with Enzo. Just as I packed up at 2pm, it started to snow and I flew home! I just made it before it started to get bad. Yeah, where is spring??? And maybe more this Thursday??? I even called a company now to do my yard. My back is dead and I am all done with shoveling snow this year, LOL!! Give your Laz kiss for me!!! Common SPRING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried snow boarding, but I did ski. I found that I actually used the exact OPPOSITE muscles from the ones I use when I ride. Holy cow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have tried any of the winter sports except ice skating. That was one time and I really sucked. My ankles wouldnn't stay straight.

    It's cool the kids took to the horses and the "keeping" parts. LOL Help is always appreciated, I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute mini!! I LOVE that video of you lunging him, so cute! He looks like he's going well for you.

    The first time I went snowboarding I don't think I made it down the hill once without falling at least three times. Then, all of a sudden it clicked and I was able to get down the hill in one piece. Granted I still fall if I try to get to fast or fancy, but it's a start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Looks like everyone had fun. :) I hope the snow clears out soon. I think everyone is ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete