About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, July 2, 2010

Barefoot trim #5

Sweet, calm Lazarus getting his fifth trim from Cliff.
I swear, Laz, LOVES Cliff
"mmmm CliFfie youz smellz goooodz and makez my feetz feel gooodz"

Here Cliff is adjusting Laz's right rear. He is keeping the pressure off his inside area, where the old wedge shoe caused pressure to drive his hoof to hold onto itself.
I must have asked Cliff 100 questions and what if's about his foot.
He thinks for now, he's good.  The hoof may start cracking off and if it does, he'll hoof cast it.
I'm to keep an eye and if I see any changes in the hoof's appearance or in Laz's behavior, Cliff will come out reassess.
The inside of his right rear, where you can see where it may crack.
BUT..look at all that new growth!
Cliff said the new growth looks very good and healthy! HOORAH!
Laz was a total cuddle bug with Cliff.
Watching him trim his feet...
Nuzzling his hat and hair...
Biting his chaps fringe tenderly...
This is a happy boy
Cliff on the left talking to one of the boarders
Small world, they used to work together in the automotive world!
Cliff was so patient and answered everyone's questions about their horses and even had a farrier who is newly training to be a barefoot trimmer come out and learn from him.
Icing again per Chiro
Laz has been a rockstar lately that I can leave him 'ground tied' when he grazes.
A couple times when something spooked him, he ran up to me for comfort (awwww) and then bucked off his ice bag (hilarious!).
Can I just say that yesterday, when I walked out to him with his halter and lead rope he nickered twice to me.
A quiet, low rumbling of "yea, let's do this"
Sigh...thank you Cliff-I'm so happy that I still have my boy!!!

7 comments:

  1. That new hoof growth does look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaawww, I am misty-eyed over here! :-) Cliff is a saint! He has done such an amazing job with Laz's hoofs and I'm SO glad that you found him. Laz's hoof looks incredible!! Wow, that is a lot of new growth -- probably from all the movement that he is now getting. HORRAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story is such a pick-me-up! Laz looks so happy and I bet he is as grateful to Cliff as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Cliff is the greatest. My farrier gets mad if Pie nuzzles him. Ugh! Don't get me started. I really wish Cliff or one of his trainees lived near me! No, I am glad Cliff lives near you because he saved the sweet boy Laz. Laz is a wonderful boy with a new hoof growing back! Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Cliff, and I don't even know him!! I'm amazed at how much new hoof growth he has!? That crazy weird line is from his weird wild shoes?? Denali's shoes are gone, hopefully for good. I actually am auctioning them off because I'm ridiculous like that....

    Yeah for Laz!! Denali loves a man with a good hoof!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for awesome farriers!!! Having a good one (or a GREAT one!) makes life sooooooo much easier.
    I laughed at the pictures of Laz nuzzling Clif-Miles does the same thing to his farrier-will NOT leave the poor guy alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! I don't know if I say this every comment, but Laz is so freakin' cute! He has such sweet eyes and just looks like a character. Hope you had a good 4th!!

    ReplyDelete