About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Monday, April 22, 2013

Clinic #2

Clinic #2..yes, some may say I'm a glutton for punishment.
I just was so disappointing in my self (read not Laz) from the last clinic, that I desperately wanted a do over.
My trainer Meggie emailed me with a "Hey, there is a clinic coming up that is very small and I think it could prove to be great for Laz and you."

Saaa-weet! SIGN ME, er US, up! 
P.S. Can you also pick our asses up???

Woke up at 5:30 am (instant nausea, I'm just not nor ever will be a morning person)
Feed the ponies at 6:30
Thankfully, as a non trailer owning (or truck for that matter) horse owner, my trainer Meggie came to the rescue. So, not only do I get to attend another great clinic BUT my trainer can help me load him, put him a bigger slant trailer, and with another horse (her's) in it.
Recipe for success.
And it was.
7 am pick up
Laz hesitated for about a minute, then loaded (step up trailer) with NO issue. Dove face first into his hay bag and even shared with his new friend Ray (her 3 yr old mare)
Upon arrival, we were first. Yay, another successful thing. Last time I arrived at the clinic I blew in so late and frazzled. This time, I was able to walk Laz around (did I mention he unloaded like a gent?) and groom/graze him. All chill and quiet. Exactly what I wanted and needed for myself.
"Grazzz, yaa I do dis!"
 This clinic (Hunt the Jump) was at the same lovely barn the first clinic was.
This time, it was held outside (40's and sunny) and I was happy footing was good.
We started out just allowing the horses to walk the arena, smell, check everything out before asking them to do anything. 
Laz is all "sniifff, waz that?!"


 Ray, my trainer's almost 3 yr old mare 
She rolled side to side to side to side to side to side to side
 then promptly took a toddler's nap. She's a growing magical pony
Laz was like "YOU is CRAZEEE girlfriend! Get upz or tigerz will eatz you"
Ray is a small, chill, little girl
Laz meets Puzzle, the barn managers little spotted sprite
 Oh the barn manager (who I adore!) also has a gee-orgeous Oldenburg mare who's agility is stunning
Here she is 'hunting the jump'
 Here we are, just having fun.
 So I didn't have Laz JUMP anything, but we did 'hunt the jump' (side note; this could be a drinking game for when I say 'hunt the jump' -you will be drunk by now)
I used my send command and he got praise for his attempt
 "OH I'll hunt dis jump wif my sniffer!"
The whole point is to have them approach things confidently.
Some ground work, having him trot at his comfortable pace around me without breaking gait
 Meggie working with Puzzle who apparently can be very naughty (rears, bucks, etc..all the mini antics we all love to coo at) He was just TOO cute
Laz and I working on our sideways lateral movement. He would go and stop, so my goal was to act like a moving train and have him respond to my cues/space and move over sideways
Due to his rehab, I have babied him.  Duh!  I regret none of that, although sometimes when I ask for something, he has learned that he can get away with murder, so I want to work on when I ask lightly, to get a light but quick response. I had to go heavy, then retreat back to light a few times
Here is a 'heavy' ask, but eventually, I can go back to light and just point my finger into his shoulder
All this translates into riding. My cue would come from my leg and body, so the lighter the better obviously unless you want a numb horse

Meggie and Ray, I can't say it enough, it's so great to work with someone positive
Like, essential for someone like me

Can you tell we were both in tune and listening this time?

 One of the things my trainer stated was "If they want to roll, allow them"
It's a great mental release and shows comfort. Laz would paw when he saw the others roll but he didn't roll this time (secretly the brat in me was happy because he was groomed up so pretty and the sand was mucky wet!)
 Laz was just the cutest, he watched, listened and was in sync for most (not all) of the day
 One of my now all time favorite photos below...thanks J9!!! xxoo
 A nice calm kerplunk
 Glamour head shot anyone?
Laz was very yawn full, licking and chewing, eye rolling. He barely did his nervous bubble gum chew. It came out a couple of times, but nothing like at the last clinic. He was just able to process more. I think being outside, in a larger space and with less people/horses helped. And 2nd exposure.



 J9 captured how focused I was on listening.
This time I was able to absorb and not just concentrate on not crying 
I was having FUN! Sooo much better
After lunch, we worked on the theory of 'hunt the jump'
Only one of the three of us was actually a jumper, but the idea is to have your horse 'hunt' or seek any obstacle out and find the answer. Whether your answer is to jump it, squeeze in between, stand on it, etc. You can apply the theory to any discipline.
 
 Once we practiced on the ground, we mounted up. YAY! I didn't even ride Laz at the last clinic, but I knew we would be a-ok for this one. He was just focused and so was I.
Game freakin on
"Lez do dis, lez hunt some sing"
The more the day went on, we had worked on squeezing through cones, barrels, poles, and trotting over poles flat on the ground. 
I decided to try something...
We had something in our focus....
We were going to hunt an F'ing jump!

Amazing news worthy footage below, get ready for 9 seconds of pure glory
My inner 6 yr old was beaming!! Who am I kidding, so was my 36 yr old self!!! 
I'm just elated with my horse and his progress from rehab, training and partnership
No, I know we didn't jump it, and I know a flea could have jumped it, but we went OVER it (a few times) and Laz did great, no stopping, no freaking, no issues. 
He hunted that jump for me.

This is how you should end a clinic...well, at least some of them.
Oh and PS. I loaded Laz myself in the trailer and he walked in all ladie dah
I should have bought a lotto ticket that day...oh wait, I already won.

14 comments:

  1. Awww YAY!!! This all sounds like a huge confidence booster. I am so happy you guys had a good clinic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this post (and all the pictures!!!)!! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this post! How awesome for you both! I'm SO glad you got a "do-over" and it went so well. Awesome pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! I'm so glad that you had a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And THAT is how it's done, son! :-D
    See, I figured last time was just a fluke thing. We all have those "off" days where we're frazzled and then we get our horses frazzled and then everything's a downward spiral of doom. So happy this last clinic was such a great, positive experience for you BOTH and you had such a fun time! Congrats on overcoming so very many obstacles in a single bound (including a jump--what?!? :-D)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you two are getting to build your bond through these clinics and field trips away from the barn! So much excitement on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! Happy day! What a wonderful post! You did win the lottery with your fabulous boy. What a sweet horse you have! He is happy and healthy and you both are radiant! I laughed out loud at your trainer's mare taking a little snooze after her roll. I love that more than anything when a horse is comfortable in their space and sleep - so adorable!!! Laz is the picture perfect cutie boy. What a great day - so happy for you two!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a good boy, Laz! So happy it was a better experience this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, looks like a lot of fun and great photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The redo sounds like it went really well! Love the picture of you two paying attention!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummm - what juliette said.

    Great pix as usual. SO happy for you both! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good boy! Great post and pictures. Love the video--seems like there's always an inner 6 year old when I'm with my horse. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story!! Congrats on your super day!!!!!! You did already win!! xxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete