About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Playing barn owner part 2 and trying something new

A couple of body shots-just nice to have to look back at and compare.
Laz's weight is nice-a bit plump but I feel his topline is better than last year's August
Standing more square as time goes on (slowly) but less RH camped out in front
Points for my OTTB pony who stands still where I put him during grooming.
No cross ties, no tying-just ((gasp)) manners!

Pulling in the barn Sunday morning...peace-what peace!
The boys down in pasture...
I call them in for their grain and they lazily come ambling up. Quite opposite of their nightly turnout where they gallop down the track to get to the candy field.
Laz takes a long big drink.
They have two tanks accessible but I swear when they are on their pasture and it's dew filled, they do not come up to drink until day light.
Laz's ears pump back and forth when he drinks.
It's mega cute.
This horse is over documented when I take pictures of him simply drinking-sheesh!!!
I feed the ponies their feed, supplements, etc.
Here Laz is done...waiting to be let out.
"I HATEZ BEING STALLED FOR 45 SECUNDS!! Lemmme OUTS! I IS RACERHORS!!"
Smack, smack, smack...
"I IS ALZO SO SPOILSSS BRATZ"
Super Model!
Sigh, how did I get such a beauty?!
"I FREEEEEZZ!"
I grabbed sweet Red to treat a kick he had on his shoulder and thigh.
Look at how dainty this little Red OTTB is! Awwww-here he his in Laz's halter
He is gaining weight back so nicely
***
Later that evening, my Husband came with me to help.
Mission 'human with camera to capture all our riding adventure' was put into effect
I have been DYING to try this;
Bridle-LESS riding!
Why not?! Let's test where we are with our 'communication' while we have a witness
It was FUN!
and honest. Oh, so honest!!!

Our turning was hilariously weak. Well, my asks were.
Laz was 10000% tolerate and good to me.
I was giving him many mixed signals I'm sure

Our "whoa" and "backing up" was SPOT ON
Booo ya!

Our "Walk on" was good too

But with turning I was looking down TOO much, and not using my body.
Legs, yes, but I need to remember to LOOK WHERE I'M WANTING TO GO
See that?! That is a girl asking her horse to put her on the ground.
;)
Flies bother this fragile flower below
A couple of things that I did that was not smart.
1. Try bridle-less 10 minutes before dinner feed time (Laz was not impressed with my timely request)
2. Kept the horses in the pasture with us. Why? Lazy
3. Dusk, when they KNOW, their grass turnout is right around the corner
Yet I did it anyway and had faith :)
Above we are having a discussion that NOOOO you can't ask Justin to help you.
You are fine with me.
Below, was turning him after I had to re-mount because I had to dismount when he offered to walk into his stall for feeding that he felt was deserved. 
Maybe he thought "I'll carry your ass in this stall to feed me NOW" 


All in all it was FUN.  I'll try it again and again and who knows, maybe we'll be like this in our future


Whether you think you can or you can't... You're right.




7 comments:

  1. Laz looks beautiful! He has a nice rumptuous rump! I made that word up! :)

    Looks like the perfect evening and such a beautiful farm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that looked like fun!

    Good boy for complying with moms crazy antics ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a blast - thanks for the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The freeze frame of Laz's face is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE THIS!!!!! You know this is my dream and you are right - oh so honest. The only time I did this with Pie I was shocked at how little I could convey to him through my legs and seat alone. I was horrible! I didn't have any jumps or bucks though! How did you sit through all that fly fussing and glad your husband caught it! Laz is so sweet and so hungry! Just like my Pie boy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Love the bareback and bridleless riding.

    And isn't feeding time the best? It is my favorite part when I work at my barn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steering is the real deal without things to pull on. ;D We've been riding nekkid lately too.

    As per usual, fun post. Great pix - especially the super model shot. I hope you're considering making one of those blog books someday...

    PS - Shortly after reading your suggestion, another friend steered me to DogShaming... holy crap - I needed Depends and/or an oxygen mask. Thanks for a new internet addiction!

    ReplyDelete