About this Blog

Meet my very 1st horse, Lazarus.
I couldn't wait for Santa anymore or ask one more time for a pony for my bday (after age 30 it got embarrassing). I took matters in my own hands and I finally decided to pick a pony that needed a new home. Laz found me as I contemplated with this idea. He was sweet yet very sassy, fresh off the track, Thoroughbred (OTTB).
Join us for our re-training, rehabbing from laminitis and testing all parts of mixed up horsemanship and partnership, and luck...

Friday, July 8, 2011

A little break

Ask and you shall receive :)
We got a little break today
Hive/welts/bug bites looked a bit better today on their own.  
I did Marissa's lovely suggestion of 3 parts H20 to 1 part white vinegar sponge bath on the Prince today, and yum.... it felt cool to the touch, it kept the flies off him while he dried and totally made the welts depuff instantly. Pretty cool. 
And at the cost of 1.99 a gallon of vinegar..I'd say a nice thing to have in the tack room.
I'll do a second rinsing tomorrow as well, and if this continues to improve, I wont put him on Tri-Hist and she'll have saved me about $80. Um...thank you!! :)
What is so funny, is I have a vague memory of my Yiayia (Greek grandma) putting vinegar on my bug bites while visiting her in Greece.  Damn, Yiayia-ahead of her time.

After Laz's sponge bath, I hand walked him.
He is walking totally normally now, trot is still limpy but he has a lot of bruising on his RR.
I assume that will take a while to heal.
I have been applying my Absorbine Green dressing that has Arnica in it, so hopefully that will help.
AND...
I rode.
(cue angels above to sing in harmony)
sigh.
It had been since May 23rd, but whose counting? ;)
I hopped on bareback/halter ghetto style and we just walked.
Walked around the arena, out onto the front of the property on grass and along the sides of pastures. 
 Trimmer Michelle said that riding him at the walk should help his feet out and help him naturally wear his thickened sole down but to keep off gravel due to his bruise.
We are happy to walk.
Laz marched around like a proud OTTB with a job.
Licking his lips, ears perked and smiling girl on his back.
We rode like we hadn't missed a beat.
I love this horse.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy! I'll have to remember the vinegar thing. That sounds great. I did use vinegar as a quickie fly spray when I was a kid. It's only faults were that it didn't last long and the horses hated the smell of it so you had to be careful which way the wind was blowing.

    Congrats on the ride too. Sounds fantastic. I'm glad you have such specialized help for him. :) Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!!! Back in the saddle (erm, bareback)! Awesome!

    That bruising will just grow out and be trimmed away. I'm curious, is it on the sole or just in the white line? His toes were quite long, so I'm guessing his bruisng was the same as Salem's -- caused by the overly long toe pulling the hoof wall away from the laminae. The arnica will really help until the bruising grows out.

    Thank goodness for Bowker/Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic news! It seems things are looking up for you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, I'm so glad it worked for you! It seems to be the only thing that helps my boy when his hives start. Glad it worked for Laz too :)

    ReplyDelete